Barbados Church Records
Barbados Church Records
Original Barbados christenings and burials (1679-1680) are kept at the Barbados Department of Archives. The collection has been microfilmed: FHL Collection 1162149 Item 1
- "Barbados Baptisms, 1739-1891," online database, FamilySearch.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee . Barbados Baptisms 1637-1800 . Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 1984 . Free Name Search; digital version at Ancestry ($); purchase at Genealogical.com; FHL Collection 972.981 K29s.
- "Barbados Marriages, 1854-1879," online database, FamilySearch
- Sanders, Joanne McRee . Barbados Records: Marriages 1643-1800 . Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 1982 . Free Name Search; digital version at Ancestry ($); purchase at Genealogical.com; FHL Collection 972.981 K29sj v. 1.
Burials registered in some of Barbados's early Church of England parishes (more than 170,126 burial entries) are available on the website Tombstones.bb.
The records have been microfilmed and are widely available through the Family History Library's satellite Family History Center system. Some are also online:
- "Barbados Burials, 1854-1885," online database, FamilySearch
Barbados Church of England vestry minutes survive from the 1650s for some parishes. See Court Records.
- List and Index Society. Calendar of Letters from Canada, Newfoundland, Pennsylvania, Barbados and the Bahamas 1721-1793: Preserved at the United Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. London: Swift (P & D), 1972. FHL Collection BRITISH Large Q Book 942 B4pro spec. ser. v. 5
The late Eustace M. Shilstone was a recognized scholar of Jews in Barbados. His manuscript research notes "Records of Jews in Barbados and Other Family Records," is held at the Library of the Barbados Museum and Historical Society. Pages 200 to 204, for example, identify early Jewish wills proved on the island. The collection was recently digitized through a U.S. Embassy grant. His superb work in transcribing, translating, and abstracting Jewish Synagogue monumental inscriptions is discussed in Barbados Cemeteries. Arbell prepared a history of early Jewish refugees in Barbados and other Caribbean islands:
- Arbell, Mordechai. The Jewish Nation of the Caribbean: The Spanish-Portuguese Jewish Settlements in the Caribbean and the Guianas. Jerusalem, Israel: Gefen Publishing House, 2002/5762. FHL Collection 972.9 F2a
- Name Search at Genealogical.com is a comprehensive name index to 638 books and CDs published or reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Company (now Genealogical.com). For a complete list of the works included, see Publications in Name Search at Genealogical.com