Barbour County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Barbour County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Barbour County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 3, 1843|
|Address|| Barbour County Courthouse|
8 N Main Street
Philippi, WV 26416
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Church
- 4.3 Court
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Genealogy
- 4.6 Local Histories
- 4.7 Maps
- 4.8 Military
- 4.9 Naturalizations
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Petitions
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Online West Virginia Tax site
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- County Clerk has birth, marriage, death since 1853
- Probate Record and land records from 1845
- Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
See an interactive map of Barbour County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Town of Belington
Town of Junior
City of Philippi
List of Barbour County West Virginia Cemeteries
Readings from Barbour County Cemetery Records
For tips on accessing Barbour County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
1850 Barbour County, West Virginia Census
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
- [Coberly] Harter, Mary. "James Cunningham of Western Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 29, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1985):9-16; Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1985):109-116. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 29 (1985).
Regiments. Service men in Barbour County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Barbour County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 20th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company D..
- - 31st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company H (Barbour Greys) and Company K (Potomac Guards or Mountain Guards).
- - 62nd Regiment, Virginia Mounted Infantry (Confederate). Company E.
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Barbour County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in West Virginia.
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
- Eckenrode, H.J. Virginia State Library: A Calendar of Legislative Petitions Arranged by Counties Accomac - Bedford. Richmond, Va.: Davis Bottom, Superintendent of Public Printing, 1908. Digital version at Google Books. [Barbour County petitions (1843-1858) are described on pp. 186-194.]
Barbour County, West Virginia Will Books 1846-1960
West Virginia Will Books
Barbour County Wills a Collection
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
. Includes marriages 1843-1849, 1853-1969 - free.
- Barbour County Births at USGenWeb - free.
- West Virginia Marriages 1853-1970; free searchable index available at FamilySearch. Records include such information as bride and groom's names, birth date and birthplace, marriage place, clerk's name and sometimes the name of the father, and film and record numbers. Individual names and collections can be searched at FamilySearch.
- Barbour County Marriages at USGenWeb - free.
- Barbour County Deaths at USGenWeb - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library catalog
- Barbour County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- http://www.cyndislist.com/us/wv Cyndi's List
- Barbour County Family Album
- More Barbour County Resources
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Richard L. Armstrong, 19th and 20th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1994). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 101.
- John M. Ashcraft, 31st Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 48.
- Roger U. Delauter, 62nd Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 41.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 20 September 2012)