Difference between revisions of "Barnard's Inn, London Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with 'Barnard's or Bernard's Inn, Holborn, is situated on the south side of Holborn, westward of Fetter Lane, and near Dyer's Buildings. it was anciently called Mackworth;s Inn, having…')
 
Line 1: Line 1:
Barnard's or Bernard's Inn, Holborn, is situated on the south side of Holborn, westward of Fetter Lane, and near Dyer's Buildings. it was anciently called Mackworth;s Inn, having been the residence  of De John Mackworth, who was dean of Lincoln in the reign of Henry VI; but being afterwards in possessionof a gentleman of the name of Barnard, it received his name. It was given to the society by Dr Mackworth's executors in 1454. This is one of the Inns of court of Chancery, and consists of a principal and three anciens, besides other members... [Adapted from: ''Topographical Dictionary of London, ''by James Elmes; published 1831]
+
Return to the [[London Parishes A-F]] page.
 +
 
 +
Barnard's or Bernard's Inn, Holborn, is situated on the south side of Holborn, westward of Fetter Lane, and near Dyer's Buildings. it was anciently called Mackworth;s Inn, having been the residence  of De John Mackworth, who was dean of Lincoln in the reign of Henry VI; but being afterwards in possessionof a gentleman of the name of Barnard, it received his name. It was given to the society by Dr Mackworth's executors in 1454. This is one of the Inns of court of Chancery, and consists of a principal and three anciens, besides other members... [Adapted from: ''Topographical Dictionary of London, ''by James Elmes; published 1831]  
  
 
 
 
 

Revision as of 21:04, 1 March 2010

Return to the London Parishes A-F page.

Barnard's or Bernard's Inn, Holborn, is situated on the south side of Holborn, westward of Fetter Lane, and near Dyer's Buildings. it was anciently called Mackworth;s Inn, having been the residence  of De John Mackworth, who was dean of Lincoln in the reign of Henry VI; but being afterwards in possessionof a gentleman of the name of Barnard, it received his name. It was given to the society by Dr Mackworth's executors in 1454. This is one of the Inns of court of Chancery, and consists of a principal and three anciens, besides other members... [Adapted from: Topographical Dictionary of London, by James Elmes; published 1831]