Barren County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Barren County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 20, 1798|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African Americans
- 5.2 Archives, Libraries, and Internet Sites
- 5.3 Bibles
- 5.4 Biographies
- 5.5 Cemeteries
- 5.6 Census
- 5.7 Church
- 5.8 Court
- 5.9 Genealogy
- 5.10 Land
- 5.11 Local Histories
- 5.12 Maps
- 5.13 Military
- 5.14 Miscellaneous
- 5.15 Newspapers
- 5.16 Probate
- 5.17 Obituaries
- 5.18 Taxation
- 5.19 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Barren County's civil records start the following years:
*Many years between 1852 and 1911 are missing
Places / Localities
|Apple Grove||Eighty Eight||Kino||Railton|
|Bear Wallow||Finney||Lucas||Rocky Hill|
|Cave City||Halfway||Park||Temple Hill|
|Coral Hill||Highland Springs||Peter Creek||Tracy|
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
Archives, Libraries, and Internet Sites
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
- Brooks, James P. The Biography of Eld. Jacob Locke of Barren County, Ky. Glasgow, Ky.: Times Print., 1881. FHL Film 1232; digital version of Locke's The Baptist Encyclopaedia bio at Internet Archive.
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Barren County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- TheFamily History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Barren County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Barren County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- The Tombstone Transcription Project-Barren County, Kentucky usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Barren County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- Barren County Kentucky Census Records
- Census Records Online, Barren Co., Kentucky
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Barren Co., KYGenWeb site includes a list of links for online family histories:
- [Bailey] Bailey, Alice Lemira Morrey. Callam Holman Bailey, Planter, Early Settler of Barren County, Kentucky. Fort Wayne, Ind.: A. Bailey, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 B151bam; additional research notes (1990s): FHL Book 929.273 B151bam supp.
- [Bewley] Franklin, Eva L., Shelby Jackson Bewley, and Ron Bewley. Bewley Roots in Barren County, Kentucky. Rineyville, Ky.: S.J. Bewley, [1985?]. FHL Book 929.273 B468fb
- [Crenshaw] Peden, Henry C. The Crenshaws of Kentucky, 1800-1995: A Genealogy of the Crenshaws in South-central Kentucky, Primarily the Counties of Barren and Metcalfe, Including the Related Families of Allen, Arnett, Beard, Bird, Bradshaw, Dearing, Dickey, Duke, Franklin, Goad, Hord, Jackson, Love, Maupin, Mitchell, Munday, Pace, Parrish ... Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 C863p
- [Edwards] Edwards, Cyrus. The Edwards Family of Barren County, Kentucky: History and Traditions. Louisville, Ky. Geo. G. Fetter Co., 1924. FHL Film 1017035 Item 8; digital version at World Vital Records ($).
- [Ennis] Ennis, Wendell. The Ennis Family of Green, Barren, and Hart Counties Kentucky. [Boston, Ky.]: W. Ennis, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 En62e
- [Goode] Goode, Cecil E. Kentucky Cousins: The Goode Family of Barren County, Kentucky and Related Families; Accounts of the Goode, Anderson, Baker, Cary, Combs, Cozzart, Jones, Mulkey, Sherfey, Starr, White and Wren Families. Glasgow, Ky.: C.E. Goode, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 G613gc
- [Holder] Reneau, Martha Powell. The Holder Family of Barren and Allen Counties, Kentucky. [Glasgow, Ky.]: M. Reneau, [1972?]. FHL Book 929.273 H711rm; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Kelsay] Kelsay, Carl G. Moses Kelsay, 1741-1812, of Barren County, Kentucky and Some of His Descendants. Typescript. Microfilmed 1976. FHL Book 929.273 K299Lk
- [Moss] Moss, T.C. The David Moss Family: Green, Adair, Boyle, Barren, Hart, and Warren Co., Ky.; Williamson and Maury Co., Tenn.; Mississippi. Memphis, Tenn.: T.C. Moss, 1968. FHL Book 929.273 M855mo
- [Wheeler] Wheeler, Dennis. The Life and Times of William Wheeler & Nancy Puckett of Albemarle County, Virginia and Barren County, Kentucky Whose Descendants Came to Missouri: With a Genealogy of the Grandfather of William Wheeler, Micajah Wheeler of Albemarle County, Virginia. Jackson, Mo.: D. Wheeler, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 W569w; digital version at Family History Archives.
-  ~ The Archives of Appalachia
- Detailed Map of Barren County Kentucky
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Barren County Kentucky Military Records
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Barren County Kentucky Glasgow Times Misc. Articles
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Barren County probate records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- Barren County Kentucky Family Histories
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- BARREN COUNTY, KY ARCHIVES DEATHS & OBITUARY TRANSCRIPTIONS INDEX
- Barren County, KY Births
- Barren County Kentucky Death Certificates
- Barren County Kentucky Marriage Records
- Barren Co, KY USGen Web Archives
- CensusDiggins.com, Barren Co, KY Death Certificates
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Barren County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).