Barrington, Rhode Island
|Bristol, Rhode Island|
Location in Bristol County
Bristol County's location in the state of Rhode Island
|Address|| Town Hall|
283 County Road
Barrington, RI 02806-2406
- 1 Quick Facts
- 2 Town Hall
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 5 Websites
- 6 References
- Barrington was originally part of Swansea, Massachusetts from its incorporation in 1667, then part of the Plymouth Colony until its merger with the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1691. (In October 1717 Barrington was set off from Swansea and incorporated under its' present name as a town in Bristol County, Massachusetts. In 1747 Barrington was given to Rhode Island.)
- The Baptist residents petititoned for separation from Swansea in 1711.
- Barrington was incorporated as a separate town in 1717, named for Barrington, Somersetshire, England where the English settlers came from.
- 1747, Barrington was ceded to Rhode Island but made part of Town of Warren, Rhode Island.
- 1770, its independence was restored by the act of the Rhode Island legislature.
- In late 19th and early 20th century Barrington was home of the Barrington Brick works, which made bricks that were used worldwide. Many of laborers were from Italy and worked in the brickyard. Their descendants still make up a sizeable portion of the town population.
283 County Road
Barrington, RI 02806-2406
- Rhode Island town of Barrington historical cemeteries FHL Collection
Includes list of the historical cemeteries in the town giving the names of the American war veterans buried there ; and a historical sketch of the town with a map showing the locations of the cemeteries.
- Federal Census: 1790 . 1800 . 1810 . 1820 . 1830 . 1840 . 1850 . 1860 . 1870 . 1880 . 1900 . 1910 . 1920 . 1930
- 1790 - The USGenWeb Archives Project
Centennial Celebrations, etc
- An historical address and poem : delivered at the centennial celebration of incorporation of the town of Barrington, June 17, 1870: with an historical appendix FHL Collection
- Some databases are accessible at the Barrington Public Library
- Britannica Online
- Rhode Island's State Reference Resource (including Heritagequestonline, World Book Online, etc.)
- Warren and Barrington Directory, 1897: comprising a complete general and business directory of the towns of Warren and Barrington, also, a record of the town governments, institutions, societies, etc. FHL 349814
- Bristol, Warren and Barrington (Rhode Island) city directories FHL Collection
- The history of Rehoboth, Bristol County, Massachusetts FHL Collection
comprising a history of the present towns of Rehoboth, Seekonk, and Pawtucket, from their settlement to the present time, together with sketches of Attleborough, Cumberland, and a part of Swansea and Barrington, to the time that they were severally separated from the original town.
Land and Property
- Proprietors records in ancient Swansea 1652-1717 : proprietors records in Barrington 1717-1797 FHL Collection
- Barrington, Rhode Island land evidence records 1770-1936 FHL Collection
Grantors and Grantees Index 1770-1936
Grantors and grantees records 1770-1882
- Barrington (R.I.) deed records, 1882-1902 FHL Collection
Military History and Records
- Barrington soldiers in the War of the Revolution, the Dorr War and in the War of the Rebellion, 1775-1861 FHL Collection ▲ BYU Family History Archive
- The Warren Gazette and Barrington Call (1907)
- Warren and Barrington Gazette (1907)
- The Bristol County Item (1906)
- Barrington Times (1958)
- Barrington Public Library
- The Barrington Herald (1860)
- The Gleaner (1871)
- University of California, Santa Barbara
The probate records are kept at the town level rather than at the county level. Various types of records can be buried deep in probate records. In early years, the town council acted as the probate court.
- Barrington, R.I., town records (incl probate), 1718-1886 FHL Collection
- Barrington (R.I.) town council records : vols. 1-4, 1770-1891 FHL Collection
- Barrington (R.I.) probate records, 1851-1929 FHL Collection
Probate records 1851-1873
Letters of Administration 1898-1925
Administrator Accounts 1897-1925
- Barrington (R.I.) probate indexes, 1770-2002 FHL Collection
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Town of Barrington