Barton, Hampshire Genealogy
BARTON, a chapelry in Whippingham parish, Isle of Wight; 2 miles NE of Newport. Pop., 1,314. The chapel was built by the year 1844.
WHIPPINGHAM (St. Mildred), a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 3½ miles (N. by E.) from Newport. This parish lies on the east side of the river Medina, and is bounded on the north-east by the Motherbank. It contains the populous hamlet of East Cowes, and also Barton's-Village near Newport, of which each place has an ecclesiastical district church assgned to it.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288808.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|