Bath Parish, Virginia
More than 500 graves at Butterwood Cemetery are described at Find A Grave.
- Jarratt, Devereux and John Coleman. The Life of the Reverend Devereux Jarratt: Rector of Bath Parish, Dinwiddie County, Virginia. Printed by Warner & Hanna, 1806. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
Bath Parish reports:
- Convention of 1827 (p. 201)
- Convention of 1828 (p. 220)
- Convention of 1829 (pp. 233-234)
- Convention of 1830 (p. 245)
- Convention of 1831 (p. 259)
- Convention of 1832 (p. 276)
- Convention of 1835 (p. 326)
Parish registers (1827-1897) are kept at the Library of Virginia. Included are a list of clergymen [1826?]-1899, baptisms 1827-1863, 1871-1897, baptisms for "coloured" persons 1826-1850, communicants 1827-1860, 1872, confirmations 1827-1862, 1873, "coloured" communicants 1832-1844, funerals 1826-1863, 1873, 1886, funerals for "colored" persons 1832-1852, marriages 1826-1890, and financial accounts 1839-1840, 1858-1863. The records have been microfilmed: FHL Film 30623 and abstracted:
- Cameron, John. Virginia Marriages in Rev. John Cameron's Register and Bath Parish Register. Richmond, Va.: Virginia Genealogical Society, 1963. FHL Book 975.5 A1 no. 3
- Hopkins, William Lindsay. Bath Parish Register (Births, Deaths & Marriages) 1827-1897 of Dinwiddie County, Virginia and St. Andrews Parish Vestry Book 1732-1797 of Brunswick County, Virginia. Richmond, Va.: W.L. Hopkins, 1989. FHL Book 975.55 K2hw
- Butterwood Chapel, The Historical Marker Database
- Sapony Episcopal Church, The Historical Marker Database
- Calder Loth, The Virginia Landmarks Register (Charlottesville, Va.: The University Press of Virginia, 1999), 144.
- Butterwood United Methodist Church, National Park Service.
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- *Francis Lister Hawks, A Narrative of Events Connected with the Rise and Progress of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Virginia: To Which is Added an Appendix, Containing the Journals of the Conventions in Virginia from the Commencement to the Present Time (New York: Harper and Brothers, 1836). Digital version at Google Books.