Beaver, Utah LDS Church Wards and Branches
This page includes a history timeline up to 1940, boundaries of wards and branches in the area as of 1940, and how to obtain the records.
Source of information: Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church. (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1941), p 50-54. Online through BYU Books. (Free) Text searchable. Also available through Ancestry.com ($).
As of 1940: the town of Beaver, Beaver County, Utah
- Beaver East Ward: all of the town east of Telegraph Street.
- Beaver West Ward: all of the town west of Telegraph Street.
For changes since 1940, contact (Membership? Church History?)
- 1851, January. Pioneers of Parowan, Utah passed through the valley. After that, most travelers from Salt Lake City passed through here to points south.
- 1851-1855. Many settlers from Parowan and Cedar City desired to relocate here due to more plentiful water.
- 1856. A few families were selected from the Parowan Mormon settlement to move to Beaver Valley.
- 1856, February 10. The Beaver Creek Branch was organized.
- 1858. A number of settlers came to Beaver Valley when the San Bernardino, California Mormon settlement was broken up.
- 1869, March 12. Beaver was divided into two wards: Beaver 1st Ward (all of the town West of Telegraph Street) and Beaver 2nd Ward (all of the town East of Telegraph Street).
- 1891, June 30. 1st and 2nd Wards were merged to make the Beaver Ward.
- 1905, January 22. Beaver Ward was again divided into Beaver East and Beaver West wards. (Both were still in existence in 1940)
Other History Resources
Many wards or branches appointed members to compile a history. Copies may be in the ward library or in homes of members. Some contain biographical sketches of members of the ward at the time of compilation.
Obtain the Records
Records up to about 1948 are available, usually on microfilm.
- List of church records. of Beaver, Utah LDS Church Wards and Branches in the FamilySearch Library.
- For later records and additional resources, see Church History Library