|Belarus Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Getting started with Belarus research
Welcome to the Belarus Page!
FamilySearch Wiki is a community website dedicated to helping people throughout the world learn how to find their ancestors. Through the Belarus Page you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Belarusian records of genealogical value. The content is variously targeted to beginners, intermediate, and expert researchers. The Belarus Page is a work in progress, your contributions and feedback are essential!
- The official name of Belarus is the ‘Republic of Belarus
- The official languages of Belarus are Belarusian and Russian. Polish and Ukranian are also spoken there
- The primary religion in the country is Russian Orthodox
- Belarus is, at times, also known as ’White Russia’
- The capital of Belarus is Minsk,the other major cities of Belarus include Brest, Grodno, Gomel, Mogilev and Vitebsk
- The oldest city of Belarus is Polotsk, which has been known since 862 AD
Did you know?
Belarus is a landlocked country in Eastern Europe, bordered by Russia to the north and east, Ukraine to the south, Poland to the west, and Lithuania and Latvia to the north. To read more about Belarus see The World Factbook and Wikipedia. For centuries the lands of modern-day Belarus belonged to several ethnically different countries, including the Principality of Polotsk, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. After the short-lived Belarusian People’s Republic (1918–19), Belarus became a republic of the Soviet Union. Belarus attained its independence in 1991.
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here: