Bennett County, South Dakota Genealogy
Bennett County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Bennett County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||June 3, 1909|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Bennett County Courthouse
202 Main Street
Martin, SD 57551
Register of Deeds has land records from 1907,
marriage records from 1912, birth and death records
from 1913 and burial records from 1943; Clerk Courts
has divorce, probate and court records
- 1909--Bennett County was created 3 June 1909 from Lugenbeel, Eliminated 3 Jun 1909, Shannon, Washington, Eliminated 2 Nov 1943, and Washabaugh, Attached to Jackson 3 Jun 1915, Counties.
County seat: Martin 
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Bennett County, South Dakota, p.622
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).