Difference between revisions of "Bennington County, Vermont Genealogy"
(added links and information)
|Line 39:||Line 39:|
Revision as of 13:25, 12 November 2012United States Vermont Bennington County
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Bennington County Courthouse
207 South Street, Bennington, VT 05201-2247
Phone: 802-442-8528 802.447.2700
Town Clerks have birth, marriage, death and burial records;
County Clerk has divorce records from 1899 and court
records from 1861; Probate Judge has probate records
Towns Organized before 1800:
Created 11 February 1779 from the Colonial lands. 
- Windham County was set off 22 February 1781.
Places / Localities
Archives and Libraries
Church History and Records
Courtesy of the Pownal Historical Society, Inc.:
Land and Property
Courtesy of The Pownal Historical Society, Inc.:
Courtesy of the Pownal Historical Society, Inc.
Military History and Records
Courtesy of Pownal Historical Society, Inc.:
- Green Mountain Boys from Pownal | About the Green Mountain Boys
- American Revolution: Soldiers buried in Vermont
- Civil War: Vermont Volunteers
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has North Adams, MA newspapers (1895-1977) covering local news that included Windham County residents.
There are two Bennington County Probate Districts
- Bennington District - Bennington, Glastenbury, Pownal, Readsboro, Searsburg, Shaftsbury, Stamford and Woodford.
- Manchester District - Arlington, Dorset, Landgrove, Manchester, Peru, Rupert, Sandgate, Sunderland and Winhall.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Courtesy of the Pownal Historial Society, Inc.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- The Bennington County VTGenWeb Project, an member of The VTGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bennington County, Vermont. Page 698 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FHL Collection Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)