Difference between revisions of "Benton County, Indiana Genealogy"
(added church intro)
(Added IN Vital Intro)
|Line 163:||Line 163:|
==== Vital Records ====
==== Vital Records ====
===== Birth Records =====
===== Birth Records =====
Revision as of 19:26, 12 July 2013
Guide to Benton County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Benton County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1907|
|Address|| Benton County Courthouse|
706 E. 5th Ste #12
Fowler, Indiana 47944-1556
Benton County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business Records
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Histories
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Military Records
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Probate Records
- 2.21 Public Records
- 2.22 Repositories
- 2.23 School Records
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 2.26 Voter Registration
- 2.27 Web Sites
- 3 References
For tips on accessing Benton County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Benton County, Indiana: Census Records and Indexes - Linkpendium
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Benton County, Indiana (1880) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Mortality Schedule for Benton County (1860) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- History of Benton County, Indiana - INGenWeb
- Every Name Index to Counties of Warren, Benton, Jasper and Newton, Indiana. Every Name Index compiled by Cathy L. O'Connor, 2008; original text by F. A. Battey & Co., 1883; reproduction by Unigraphic, Inc., 1973. EveryNameIndex.com
- F.A. Battey & Co. Counties of Warren, Benton, Jasper and Newton, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey & Co, 2008.) also (Digital images of original published: Mt. Vernon, IN : Windmill Publications, 1994. viii, 810 p. : ill., ports. ; 28 cm. The original is a reprint. It was originally published : Chicago : F.A. Battey, 1883.) FHL Collection FamilySearch Books Online other library Internet Archive
- Biographical history of Tippecanoe, White, Jasper, Newton, Benton, Warren and Pulaski counties, (Indiana. 2003. La Crosse WI: Brookhaven Press.) FHL US/CAN Film 1731988 FHL Collection other library vol.1 Google books vol.2 Google books
- History of Benton County - Linkpendium
Land and Property
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
- Map of Benton County Townships - INGenWeb
Civil War service men from Benton County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment)that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Benton County.
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company D
- 15th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 40th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 99th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 128th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 147th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 150th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Comang G
- 155th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G, H, and K
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Books
- "Military History of Benton County" in F.A. Battey & Co. Counties of Warren, Benton, Jasper and Newton, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey & Co, 2008.) also (Digital images of original published: Mt. Vernon, IN : Windmill Publications, 1994. viii, 810 p. : ill., ports. ; 28 cm. The original is a reprint. It was originally published : Chicago : F.A. Battey, 1883.) page 252-271, FHL Collection FamilySearch Books OnlineInternet Archive
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
World War II, 1941-1945
Naturalization and Citizenship
In most counties in Indiana, probate records have been kept by the county clerk of the circuit court. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
Benton County Courthouse
706 E 5th Ste #12
Fowler, IN 47944-1556
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage reocrds from 1841,
divorce and court records from 1800’s,
probate records from 1852 and naturalization records.
County Recorder has land and military records.
County Health Department has birth and death records from 1882. 
Family History Centers
- School Enumeration of Parish Grove Township, Benton County, Indiana (1853) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Directory of Teachers (1936) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Indiana law in 1882 required registration of births and deaths in counties. The Indiana Department of Health has birth records filed after October 1907 and death records filed after January 1900 for deaths. Copies may be obtained from the county health department or the Indiana State Division of Vital Records. See also How to order Indiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
Marriage licenses were required by counties beginning in 1800. Original marriage records are held at the office of the Benton County, Indiana Genealogy County Clerk with divorce records located with the Benton County, Indiana Genealogy Clerk of Courts.
- 1780-1992 Indiana MarriagesFamilySearch
- 1802-1892 Indiana MarriagesAncestry.com$
- 1811-1959 Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959FamilySearch
- 1882-1920 Indiana Death IndexFamilySearch
- EveryNameIndex.com Free online genealogy indexes for those big old county histories.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Benton County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Benton County, Indiana History, Records, Facts and Genealogy - N2genealogy
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Benton County, Indiana 211 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.