Difference between revisions of "Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy"
(labelled county boundary map)
(CW Data from Excel)
|Line 77:||Line 77:|
==== Migration ====
==== Migration ====
==== Military ====
==== Naturalization and Citizenship ====
==== Naturalization and Citizenship ====
Revision as of 00:46, 2 November 2013
Bergen County, New Jersey genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Bergen County, New Jersey|
Location in the state of New Jersey
Location of New Jersey in the U.S.
|Address|| Bergen County Courthouse|
One Bergen County Plaza
Hackensack, NJ 07601-7076
Jersey-Courts.htm Bergen County Website
- 1 Bergen County, New Jersey Historical Facts
- 2 Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy Resources
- 2.1 Bible
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church Records
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.7 Ethnic, Political. or Religious Groups
- 2.8 Gazetteers
- 2.9 Genealogy
- 2.10 History
- 2.11 Land and Property
- 2.12 Maps
- 2.13 Migration
- 2.14 Military
- 2.15 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.16 Newspapers
- 2.17 Occupations
- 2.18 Periodicals
- 2.19 Poorhouse, Almshouse
- 2.20 Probate Records
- 2.21 Repositories
- 2.22 Schools
- 2.23 Taxation
- 2.24 Vital Records
- 3 Bergen County, New Jersey Neighboring Counties
- 4 Bergen County, New Jersey Websites
- 5 Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy References
Bergen County, New Jersey Historical Facts
- 1675, formed as original county of East Jersey.
- Formally created 1 March 1683. 
- 1710, New Barbadoes twp. added from Essex County
- 1807, coastal boundary fixed.
- 7 March 1837, Passaic County was set off. 
- 22 February 1840, Hudson County was set off. 
- 1852, part of Harrison twp. added as Union twp.
- 1892, coastal boundary clarified.
Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy Resources
- Saint Andrews Cemetery, River Vale BillionGraves
- Riverside Cemetery: A Jewish Cemetery located in Saddle Brook, New Jersey
- Mount Moriah Cemetery: located in Fairview, NJ
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about denominations, view the New Jersey Church Records wiki page.
- 1666-1788 - "The Bergen Church Records (Dutch Reformed)," Year Book of the Holland Society of New York. Baptisms 1666-1782: (1903); Marriages (1904); Burials 1666-1788 (1905). 1903 and 1905 volumes are available online. For access, see WeRelate.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political. or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for New Jersey counties. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section New Jersey Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See New Jersey Land and Property for information about New Jersey Proprietary land records. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Finding Land Records at Other Repositories
Additional land records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy Land and Property Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- FamilySearch Catalog(For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Regiments. Service men in Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy:
- - 65th Regiment, New York Infantry, Company B.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
For more Ohio newspaper information see the Newspaper Guides on the wiki page New Jersey Newspapers.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records created after 1852 are held by the Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy Probate Court. From 1797 or the creation of the county, probate records were held by the Court of Common Pleas. Most counties transferred all records to the Probate Court, but in some circumstances, Court of Common Pleas records should be searched for records prior to 1852. Most records are housed at the Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy Courthouse. Some records are on microfilm at the Ohio Genealogical Society and the Family History Library. For more complete information about the location of county probate records see:
See the wiki page New Jersey Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (1867-1908 only).
Obtaining Copies of County Probate Records
Copies of recorded probate records and the estate files can be obtained from the surrogate's offices for a fee. Addresses of surrogate's offices are found in:
- Eichholz, Alice, Editor. Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Revised Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1992. (Family History Library book 973 D27rb 1992.) Explains state-by-state history, vital records, census, background sources, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records. Includes county boundary map and table which shows when each county was created and the parent counties.
In addition, copies of the original wills, administrations, inventories, and guardianships sent to Trenton since 1901 can be ordered from:
Clerk of the Superior Court
Records Information Center
P.O. Box 967
Trenton, NJ 08625-0967
Phone: (609) 292-4978
Fax: (609) 777-0094
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Emerson New Jersey Family History Center
- Fardale New Jersey Family History Center
New Jersey tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information see the wiki page New Jersey Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. United States Vital Records has additional research guidance on researching and using vital records. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the New Jersey Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. Original marriage records are usually held at the county Bureau of Vital Statistics.
Bergen County, New Jersey Neighboring Counties
- Bronx (The Bronx), New York
- New York (Manhatten), New York
- Rockland County, New York
- Westchester County, New York
Bergen County, New Jersey Websites
- The Bergen County NJGenWeb Project, a member of The NJGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Bergen County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Bergen County. (Backup site)
- Bergen County Genealogical Society
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog
Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content