Berkeley County, West Virginia Genealogy
|Berkeley County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Immigration
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Migration
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Naturalization
- 4.14 Newspapers
- 4.15 Occupations
- 4.16 Probate
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
126 West King Street
Martinsburg, WV 25401-3209
- County Clerk has birth and death from 1865
- Marriage from 1781
- Probate Record from 1772
- Land Record from 1880
- Clerk Circuit Court has divorce records
- Berkeley County West Virginia Chamber of Commerce
See an interactive map of Berkeley County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
Berekeley County West Virginia Communities
- Good, Rebecca H. and Rebecca A. Ebert. Finding Your People in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1998. 4th ed. FHL Book 975 D27e 1998
- Macomber, Kenneth D. "Genealogical Research in Berkeley County, West Virginia," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 30, No. 5 (Oct. 2004):1-3. FHL; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
Berkeley County, West Virginia Cemeteries
- "Cemetery Record," Rowan County Register, Vol. 16, No. 4 (Nov. 2001):3749. FHL. [Discusses a gravemarker from Salem United Methodist Church, Cincinnati, Ohio, surname: McCormick, date of death: 1858, which identifies the person's 1788 birthplace as Burkley [sic] County, Virginia.]
For tips on accessing Berkeley County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Church of England
See also Norborne Parish
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Berekeley County Biographies
See also Frederick County, Virginia Genealogy.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Berkeley County families include:
- O'Dell, Cecil. Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia. Marceline, Mo.: Walsworth Pub. Co., 1995. FHL Collection. One of the most impressively researched one-place studies in the United States. In a review, Dorman stated "Comprehensive studies such as this appear only rarely. This volume should be in every Virginia genealogical collection."
- Cartmell, T. K. Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants: A History of Frederick County, Virginia (Illustrated) from Its Formation in 1738 to 1908, Compiled Mainly from Original Records of Old Frederick County, Now Hampshire, Berkeley, Shenandoah, Jefferson, Hardy, Clarke, Warren, Morgan and Frederick. n.p.: n.p., c1909. FHL US/CAN Book 975.59 H2c 1963; FHL US/CAN Film 1000634 Item 1; digital versions at Ancestry ($); BYU Family History Archives and World Vital Records ($). [3 copies at FHL.]
- [Beeks] Adams, Katherine K. Addams—Adams and Allied Families, ca. 1715-1925. Unpublished, 1925.
- [Beeks] Adams, Katherine K. Ancestors of Katharine Kellogg Adams. Unpublished. 1928.
- [Beeks] Adams, Katherine K. “The Beeks Family,” The Researcher: A Magazine of History & Genealogical Exchange, ():109-113.
- [Beeks] Adams, Katherine K. Genealogy Column of the Boston Transcript, March 15, 1922. 9589.
- [Beeks] Adams, Katherine K. Genealogy Column of the Boston Transcript, December 10, 1924. 2498.
- [Beeks] Adams, Katherine K. “Genealogical Queries,” The William and Mary Quarterly, 2nd Ser., Vol. 6, No. 3 (Jul. 1926):245-250. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- [Beeks] Adams, Katherine K. “Query: Beakes or Beeks,” The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 54, No. 3 (1930):288. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- [Beeks] Adams, Katherine K. “Genealogical Notes and Queries: Barnes-Bonner-Beakes,” The William and Mary Quarterly, 2nd Ser., Vol. 11, No. 1 (Jan. 1931):73. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- [Benson] Miller, Lori. Burns--Miller--Garrett--Benson Families, ca. 1794-1932. Typescript, Butler Area Public Library, Butler, Pa. Microfilmed 1991. Reproduction: FHL Film 1675268 Item 39
- [Boyd] Paul, Gordon W. John Boyd of Berkeley County, West Virginia. Albuquerque, New Mexico: G.W. Paul, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 B692pg
- [Buckles] Albert, Ethel Evans. Southwest Virginia Kin. 2 vols. Kingsport, Tenn.: 1977. FHL Book 975.57 D2a v. 1-v. 2
- [Burns] Miller, Lori. Burns--Miller--Garrett--Benson Families, ca. 1794-1932. Typescript, Butler Area Public Library, Butler, Pa. Microfilmed 1991. Reproduction: FHL Film 1675268 Item 39
- [Campbell] Campbell, Martha W. The Duties and Contributions of James Campbell to Berkeley County, West Virginia. Typescript. Microfilmed 1991. FHL Film 1787180 Item 17
- [Chapman] Chapman, George E. Chapman Family Historical Workbook. Allison Park, Pa.: G.E. Chapman, 1966. FHL Film 1015849 Item 2
- [Chapman] Chapman, George E. Chapman Family Historical Workbook. 2 vols. Mars, Pa.: G.E. Chapman, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 C366cg
- [Clark] French, Grace Clark. Descendants of Ambrose Clark of Berkeley and Morgan Counties, Virginia, and Their History, 1765-1973. Hagerstown, Md.: G.C. French, 1974. FHL Book 929.273 C547fg
- [Cunningham] Newman, Betty Cunningham. Adam and 500 More Cunninghams of the Valley of Virginia, c.1734-c.1800. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, Inc., 2000. FHL Book 929.273 C917n.
- [Cunningham] Dunn, Victor S. "Using Lawsuits to Identify Family Origins: George Cunningham of Virginia," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 98, No. 4 (Dec. 2010), 251-261.
- [Dawkins] Prewitt, Lela Wolfe. The Dawkins and Stewart Families of Virginia and Kentucky. [Fairfield, Iowa: Prewitt], 1968. FHL Book 929.273 D322p.
- [Duke] Brandenberger, Evelyn Duke. The Duke Family. 2 vols. [Houston, Texas]: E.D. Brandenberger, 1979-1995. FHL Book 929.273 D885b v. 1-v. 2.
- [Flagg] Flagg, Charles Allcott. Descendants of Josiah Flagg of Berkeley County, W. Va. With Sketches of the Flagg, Keyes, Foss, Shively, Hughes, Slemons and Campbell Ancestries. Boston, Mass.: Press of T.R. Marvin & Son, 1920. FHL Collection; digital versions at Family History Archives and Google Books.
- [Garrett] Miller, Lori. Burns--Miller--Garrett--Benson Families, ca. 1794-1932. Typescript, Butler Area Public Library, Butler, Pa. Microfilmed 1991. Reproduction: FHL Film 1675268 Item 39
- [Geringer] Shaper, M. Caroline. Unpuzzling One David Geringer/Gerringer/Garinger/Garringer. [Washington C.H. [i.e. Court House], Ohio: M.C. Shaper], 1992. FHL Book 929.273 G183s; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Gray] Gray, Clarence E. and Lynn Jones Warren. The Michael Gray Family: of Berkeley and Morgan Counties, Virginia (now West Virginia) and Fayette and Greene Counties, Ohio. Decorah, Iowa: Anundsen, 2001. FHL Book 929.273 G793gc; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Grundy] Thompson, Mrs. Arthur A. "The Family of Samuel Seay, Amelia County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 7, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1963):127-135. FHL 975.5 B2vg; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Habermehl] Allemong, Kathern Ruppenthal and Sylvia H. Clark. Johann Christian Habermehl, Morgan County (VA) WV, Hovermale/Hovermill/Hawvermale Descendants, 1731-1993. Berkeley Springs, W. Va.: Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Society (West Virginia), 1993. FHL Book 929.273 H113ak
- [Hardon] Hardon, Henry W. Some of the Ancestors and the Children of Anna Hall Field, Wife of Comfort Hardon, Esq.: Sometime Civil Justice in Berkeley Co., W. Va., She was Born December 26, 1797, at Taunton, Mass. n.p.: H.W. Hardon, 1904. FHL Film 22358 Item 1; digital version at Open Library.
- [Harrison] Harrison, G. Eugene. Threads. Peoria, Ariz.: G.E. Harrison, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 H245hg
- [Hedges] Eustice, Joanne, Mackey Hedges, and Hedges Family Association. Jonas Hedges (1716-1804) & Wife Agnes Powelson of Berkeley Co., VA (W VA) and Their Descendants. St. George, Utah: Hedges Family Association, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 H358ejo
- [Knox] Wood, Christine Knox. Knox Memorial: Descendants of William Knox Who Died 1778 Berkeley Co., Va., His Son George Knox, Revolutionary Soldier, Born Ireland, 1761, Died Howard County Missouri 1833 as Many as 9 Proven Generations to Date. [Lubbock, Texas: C. Wood?], 1972. FHL Book 929.273 K779w v. 1-2
- [McNew] Hockett, Thomas Jack and Janice M. Snead. The Macknew (McNew) and Marlow (Marler; Marley) Family of Prince Georges Cty, Md., Frederick (Berkeley) Cty, Va. and Fincastle (Washington) Cty., Va., and the Possibly Allied Families of Hargis and Berry. Typescript, microfilmed 1991. FHL Collection 1697545 Item 21; also FHL Collection 929.273 M218ht
- [McNew] Hockett, Thomas Jack and Janice M. Snead. William Macknew (McNew), 1715-1791 and Wife, Mary____ of Prince Georges County, MD, Frederick (Berkeley) County, VA and Fincastle (Washington) County, VA: An Early Settler to the County of Fincastle (Washington), 1773. St. Davids, Pa.: J. Hockett, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 M218ht
- [Miller] Miller, Lori. Burns--Miller--Garrett--Benson Families, ca. 1794-1932. Typescript, Butler Area Public Library, Butler, Pa. Microfilmed 1991. Reproduction: FHL Film 1675268 Item 39
- [Morgan] Chancellor, Johnson Camden. The Chancellors. Odessa, Texas: West Texas Office Supply, 1963. FHL Book 929.273 C36c.
- [Newman] Boogher, William F. Gleanings of Virginia History: An Historical and Genealogical Collection, Largely from Original Sources. Washington: n.p., 1903. FHL Collection; digital version at Google Books. [Includes a chapter titled "Genealogy of the Newman Family, 1618-1900," see Table of Contents; discusses Newmans of Berkeley County.]
- [Nourse] Lyle, Maria Catherine Nourse. James Nourse and His Descendants. Lexington, Ky.: Transylvania Printing Company, 1897. FHL Collection 929.273 N855L
- [Nourse] Long, Martha Ann Nourse. "Weston Hall: The Seat of the Nourse Family," The Kentucky Genealogist, Vol. 27, No. 2 (Apr./June 1985):43-66. FHL Collection 976.9 B2kg v. 27 (1985)
- [Plunket] Reinders, Alice K. "Patrick Plunket: A Virginia Revolutionary Soldier," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 24, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1980):9-10. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 24 (1980)
- [Seibert] Bell, Raymond Martin. The Seibert Family. Wolfersweiler, Saar. Tulpehocken, Pennsylvania. Clear Springs, Maryland. Martinsburg, West Virginia. Washington, Pa., 1959.
- [Slagle] von Frank, Karl Friedrich. The Slagle Family in America, Descended from the Schlegel von Gottleben Family of Germany. Baltimore, Md.: A.R. Slagle, 1967. FHL Book 929.273 SL 12sr.
- [Snodgrass] Snodgrass Clan Society et al. The Mace: Official Journal of the Snodgrass Clan Society. Indianapolis, Ind.: Snodgrass Clan Society, 1977-. FHL Book 929.27305 Sn52h
- [Spiker] W.R. Spiker Family Association. W.R. Spiker Family Newsletter. Berkeley Springs, W. Va.: W.R. Spiker Family Association, 2003. FHL Book 929.27305 Sp44w
- [Stephen] "General Adam Stephen," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Sep. 1996):90. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5743 D25a v. 1, no. 2 (Sep. 1996).
- [Stuntz] Stuntz, Jeanne DeCamp Cheadle and Rick J. Ashton. Stuntz, Fuller, Kennard and Cheadle Ancestors. Evanston, Ill.: Northwestern University, University Libraries, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 St94sj.
- [Swaim] Eustice, Robert L. and Joanne Eustice. A Homespun History of Matthias Swaim (1740-1825) and Wife, Abigail (Hedges) Swaim: of Frederick County, Virginia and Berkeley County, West Virginia and Their Descendants. St. George, Utah: B. & J. Eustice, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 Sw13e
- [Woltz] Woltz, Flora Lee. The Woltz Family. Berryville, Va., 1975.
- [Womeldorf] Komarek, Carole Womeldorf. Frederick Womeldorf: The Pennsylvania/Virginia Connection. n.p.: Womelsdorf Family Association, 1984 (?). FHL Book 929.273 W842kc
- [Yadon] Fletcher, Virginia Billingsley. "Down in the Barns", The Kecks of Claiborne County, Tennessee; The Ancestors and Descendants of John "Guider" Keck and His Wife Rebecca A. Yadon. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 1983. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Fiche 6075685 (5 fiche).
- Coldham, Peter Wilson. North American Wills Registered in London 1611-1857. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. [Includes wills of residents of Berkeley County proved in London. These records often help establish an immigrant's place of origin.]
Grants and Patents
- Gray, Gertrude E. Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1742-1775. Vol. II. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1997. FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes Berkeley County.]
- Gray, Gertrude E. Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants, 1775-1800. Vol. III. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1993. FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes Berkeley County.]
- Sims Index to Land Grants in West Virginia - Berkeley
- Cartmell, T. K. Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants: A History of Frederick County, Virginia (Illustrated) from Its Formation in 1738 to 1908, Compiled Mainly from Original Records of Old Frederick County, Now Hampshire, Berkeley, Shenandoah, Jefferson, Hardy, Clarke, Warren, Morgan and Frederick. n.p.: n.p., c1909. FHL US/CAN Book 975.59 H2c 1963; FHL US/CAN Film 1000634 Item 1; digital version at Ancestry ($); Family History Archives and World Vital Records ($). [3 copies at FHL.]
- Norris, J. E.. History of the Lower Shenandoah Valley Counties of Frederick, Berkeley, Jefferson and Clarke: Their Early Settlement and Progress to the Present Time, Geological Features, a Description of Their Historic and Interesting Localities, Cities, Towns and Villages, Portraits of Some of the Prominent Men, and Biographies of Many of the Representative Citizens. Chicago: A. Warner, 1890. Original edition available at FHL; 1972 reprint available at FHL; digital version of original edition at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- Aler, F. Vernon. Aler's history of Martinsburg and Berkeley County, West Virginia: from the origin of the Indians, embracing their settlements, wars and depredations, to the first white settlement of the valley, also including the wars between the settlers and their mode digital version at Family History Archives
West Virgina, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Clay, Robert Y. "Some Delinquent Taxpayers 1787-1790," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 19, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1975):248-254. FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($). [These records often identify migrants who left the county and their intended destinations. Berkeley County's 1788 Delinquent List appears on pp. 250-254.]
French and Indian War
- Bockstruck, Lloyd DeWitt. Virginia's Colonial Soldiers. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1988. FHL. [Identifies some Berkeley County veterans and 1774-1775 militia officers; see place name index.]
Regiments. Service men in Berkeley County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Berkeley County supplied soldiers for the:
- - 8th Virginia Regiment
- - 12th Virginia Regiment (8th Company)Berkeley County, West Virginia Revolutionary War Pension List
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Berkeley County on page 134.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. FHL. [Includes a section on Martinsburg silversmiths.]
Berkeley West Virginia Wills 1772-1965
West Virginia Will Books
-  Rice, William H. The 1774 List of Tithables and Wheel Carriages in Berkeley County, Virginia. Elkins, W. Va.: W.H. Rice, 2006. FHL Book 975.497 R4r
-  Fothergill, Augusta B. and John Mark Naugle. Virginia Tax Payers, 1782-87, Other Than Those Published by the United States Census Bureau. 1940; reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1978. FHL. [1782 personal property tax list of Berkeley County.]
- [1787, 1788] Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. FHL. [Source for this publication are the 1787 personal property tax list and 1787/1788 tax delinquent lists. Berkeley County is included in Vol. 2.]
-  Clay, Robert Y. "Some Delinquent Taxpayers 1787-1790," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 19, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1975):248-254. FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($). [These records often identify migrants who left the county and their intended destinations. Berkeley County's 1788 Delinquent List appears on pp. 250-254.]
-  Berkeley County Historical Society. 1798 House Tax and Slave Tax of Berkeley County, Virginia: This Included the Area in 2003 of Berkeley County, Jefferson County and 2/3 of Morgan County West Virginia. Martinsburg, W. Va.: Berkeley County Historical Society, 2003. FHL Book 975.49 R4b
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL Book 975 E4w v. 6. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Berkeley County is included in Vol. 6.]
- Keesecker, Guy L. Marriage Records of Berkeley County, Virginia 1781 - 1854. Originally published: Strasburg, VA: G.L. Keesecker, 1969. Baltimore, Md.: Reprinted for Clearfield Co. by Genealogical Pub. Co., 1995. Reprint: FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
Societies and Libraries
Berkelely County Genealogical-Historical Society
P O Box 1624
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25401
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndis List
- Berkeley County, West Virginia Biographies
- Berkeley County, West Virginia Links
■Berkeley County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- John Frederick Dorman, "Review of Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):236.
- E.M. Sanchez-Saavedra, A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations in the American Revolution, 1774-1787 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia State Library, 1978), 67-68. FHL Book 975.5 M2s.
- J.T. McAllister, Virginia Militia in the Revolutionary War: McAllister's Data (Hot Springs, Va.: McAllister Pub. Co., 1913), 24. Digitized by Internet Archive.