The area had been rich in iron, lead, and coal which had been extracted for several centuries but it became an important centre in the Industrial Revolution and was one of the most important iron manufacturing centres in the world. Here in 1761, John Iron Mad Wilkinson, a pioneer of the Industrial Revolution, set up his ironworks in the valley of the Afon Clywedog.
Bersham Colliery, the last working coal mine in the former Denbighshire coalfield, was not actually in Bersham but situated nearby in the village of Rhostyllen in Esclusham.
Formerly a chapelry in the parish of Wrexham, the new parish of Bersham was created in 1934 from parts of the parishes of Rhosddu and Wrexham. The parish church was built in 1742 and was consecrated in 1759.
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
The parish of Wrexham, and later the parish of Bersham, formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
|1851||HO107/2503 folios 634-699 & 842-850|
|1861|| RG9/4284 folios 42-88|
RG9/4285 folios 1-34
|1871|| RG10/5655 folio 39-130|
RG10/5658 folios 2-9 & 109-111 & 122-124
|1881|| RG11/5515 folios 41-141|
RG11/5517 folio 83
RG11/5520 folios 102-104 & 121-124 & 127-136
|1891|| RG12/4614 folio folios 38-128|
RG12/4619 folios 96-98 &114-116 & 129-135
Nonconformist Church Records
Births, marriages and deaths in Bersham are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Wrexham||Wrexham|| XXVII (1837-51)|
Poor Law Union
The Wrexham Union was created on 30 March 1837 and the parish of Wrexham formed part of this. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Wrexham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.