Betws Gwerful Goch, Denbighshire Genealogy
The name Betws Gwerful Goch translates into English as "oratory of Gwerful Goch". Gwerful Goch (Red-haired Gwerful) is believed to be the daughter of Cynan ab Owain Gwynedd and lived at the beginning of the 13th century.
The parish consisted of just one township, Pencraig and the parish church is dedicated to St Mary. Many of the early Betws Gwerful Goch parish registers often refer to a Betws y Coed but this is not the town of that name in Caernarfonshire. The "Betws y Coed" in Betws Gwerful Coch was later known as Llawrbetws or Glanrafon.
The area is predominantly Welsh-speaking.
|before 31 March 1974||Merionethshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Denbighshire|
Births, marriages and deaths in Betws Gwerful Goch will be recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 30 Sep 1935||Gwyddelwern||Corwen|| XXVII (1837-51)|
|1 Oct 1935 - 1974||Corwen||Merioneth East|| 11b (1935-46)|
- The original Betws Gwerful Goch Parish Registers have been deposited at the Meirionnydd Archive in Dolgellau.
- The Clwyd Family History Society have published several volumes of the Betws Gwerful Goch parish registers.
- There are no official records available on the IGI for Betws Gwerful Goch parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
The parish of Betws Gwerful Goch formed part of the Gwyddelwern sub-district of the Corwen Registrar's District.
|1841||HO107/1428-1 folios 4 to 9|
|1851||HO107/2509 folios 122 to 129|
|1861||RG9/4309 folios 28 to 33|
|1871||RG10/5681 folios 51 to 56|
|1881||RG11/5538 folios 85 to 90|
|1891||RG12/4635 folios 83 to 87|
|1901||RG13/5246 folios 83 to 87|
Poor Law Union Records
Betws Gwerful Goch formed part of the Corwen Union which was created on 13 December 1836 and the workhouse was built at Corwen, but not completed until April 1840.
The records for the Corwen Union are held at the Meirionnydd Record Office in Dolgellau.