Birch in Hopwood, Lancashire Genealogy
Birch in Hopwood St Mary was created a chapelry in 1828, taken from, and lying within the boundaries of Middleton, Lancashire ancient parish.
"BIRCH, a village, in the parish of Middleton, union of Oldham, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2½ miles (W. N. W.) from Middleton. This place is half-way between Rochdale and Manchester: the road from Manchester to Heywood runs through the village; and the Rochdale canal, and Manchester and Leeds railway, pass along the eastern side of the district chapelry of Birch. The spinning of cotton and the manufacture of gingham are carried on to a limited extent. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Middleton, with a net income of £150; there is a parsonage-house. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built by means of a parliamentary grant of £4000, and consecrated Dec. 11th, 1828. Attached is a district formed out of the parishes of Middleton and Bury. A national school is connected with the church."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 248-255. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50801 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Bishop's transcripts for Birch, near Middleton, 1829-1839 Micro-reproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
Bishop's transcripts of the chapelry of Birch, also called Birch-St. Mary, which is in the township of Hopwood, parish of Middleton, Lancashire, England.
Lancashire Record Office: DRM/2/233
| Baptisms and burials, 1829-1839.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1545705 Item 3
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
http://www.stmarybirch.org.uk/ fro information about the parish
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53022 Hopwood British History Online
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Hopwood/StMary.shtml for images of the church