Bland County, Virginia Genealogy
|Bland County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
Southwest Virginia county.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Bland County Courthouse
612 Main Street, Suite 104
Bland, VA 24315
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage probate & Land
records from 1861 and div rec from 1900
For a more detailed list, including addresses and external links, see <a _fcknotitle="true" href="Bland County, Virginia Cemeteries">Bland County, Virginia Cemeteries</a>.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Bland County: USGS Map, Topozone.com
- Indexed images of Bland County, Virginia Chancery Records 1874-1928 are available online through <a href="http://www.virginiamemory.com/collections/chancery/">Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index</a>. The online indexes continues from 1928 through 1938, but at present does not include images. These records, often concerned with inheritance disputes, contain a wealth of genealogical information."Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index Availability," Library of Virginia (accessed 26 January 2010).
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at <a href="http://books.google.com/books?id=t7oqAAAAMAAJ">Google Books</a> and <a href="http://www.archive.org/details/listpensionerso02buregoog">Internet Archive</a>. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Bland County, p. 64.]
Bland County men most often served in regiments (and companies) from their home county. At times, however, individuals and small groups can be found serving in regiments from neighboring counties. Later in the war, Confederate units often reorganized.
- History of Bland County (Virginia).Radford, Virginia: Commonwealth Press, 1961, that includes names of units from this county and a roster of the men who served in these units on pages 259-277.975.5765 H2b Pages 275-276 lists very small groups of Bland County soldiers who served in other regiments.
- <a href="8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)">8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)</a>
- 36th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)
- <a href="45th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)">45th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate) </a>
- <a href="51st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)">51st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate) </a>
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Bland County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 5, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1961):77-78. Available at <a href="http://www.americanancestors.org/search.aspx?Ca=098&Da=285">New England Ancestors</a> ($).
Indexes to Bland County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- Fridley, Beth, comp. Bland County, Virginia Births: 1861-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000. Available at <a href="http://search.ancestryinstitution.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5275">Ancestry</a> ($).
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Bland Co., VAGenWeb. Part of the USGenWeb Project. Maps, name indexes, history.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
Bland County Family History Hall of Fame
"May we preserve their memories & Contributions!"
- Add information on Historians and Genealogist
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Bland County, Virginia," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bland_County, accessed 13 January 2012.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).