Blisland Parish, Virginia
The lower church in Blisland Parish is known as Hickory Neck Church (see picture).
The upper church, aka Brick Church, was known as Warranigh, Warrany, or Warrenay church.
- abt 1653
Few tombstones could be found at the site of Warrany Church in the early 1900s.
- Evans, David. "Price Davies, Rector of Blisland Parish Two Letters, 1763, 1765," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 79, No. 2 (Apr., 1971), pp. 153-161. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; digital version at JSTOR ($).
Colonial parish registers have been lost.
These records have been abstracted:
- Chamberlayne, C.G. The Vestry Book of Blisland (Blissland) Parish, New Kent and James City Counties, Virginia, 1721-1786. Richmond: The Library Board, 1935. Original edition: FHL Film 982042 Item 2; 1979 reprint: FHL Book 975.54 K2c 1979
- Hickory Neck Episcopal Church, Toano, Virginia (official site)
- Hickory Neck Church, The Historical Marker Database
- Mrs. B.B.W. Turner, "Warrany Church in New Kent," The William and Mary Quarterly, Second Series, Vol. 17, No. 1 (Jan. 1937):45-48. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- "History of Hickory Neck," Hickory Neck Episcopal Church, Toano, Virginia, accessed 26 February 2011.
- Tidewater Virginia Families, Vol. 3, No. 2 (Aug. 1994).
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).