Bodfari, Denbighshire Genealogy
Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Flintshire and, between 1874 and 1996 in the county of Clwyd. In 1996 it became part of the modern county of Denbighshire.
The ecclesiastical parish contains the townships of Bodfari, in historic Flintshire, and Aberwheeler (Welsh: Aberchwiler), in historic Denbighshire.
"BODVARI (BOD-FARI), a parish partly in the Caerwys division of the hundred of Rhuddlan, county of Flint, and comprising the township of Aber-Whielor, whith support its own poor, in the hundred of Rhuthin, county of Denbigh, 4 miles (N.E.) from Denbigh, on the road from Holywell to that town, and containing 873 inhabitants. This place is, from its name, supposed to have been the Roman station Varis, and the opinion has been in some degree confirmed by the recent discovery of urns, ornaments, fragments of weapons, and other relics of Roman antiquity, in the grounds of Pontrifith, and some coins near the junctions of the rivers Clwyd and Whielor, the supposed site of the Roman station. ... The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, and situated on a gentle eminence, is a neat edifice with a lofty square embattled tower. " [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833, Samuel Lewis]
For more information on Bodfari see: Genuki - Bodfari
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Flintshire & Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Denbighshire|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464325.