Bolton le Sands, Lancashire Genealogy
Bolton le Sands St Michael is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.The church was formerly in the Diocese of Chester, Manchester (1847-1926).
Other places in the parish include: Hest, Nether Kellet, Stapleton Farm, Slyne, Slyne with Hest, and Nether Kellett.
Referred to as Bodeltone in the Domesday book, the village was known as Bolton until the arrival of the railways, when the name was changed to Bolton-le-Sands to differentiate from similarly named towns on the same line, such as Bolton which was then a part of Lancashire and called Bolton-le-Moors.
The oldest church in the village, founded prior to 1094, is the Church of England Holy Trinity church, originally dedicated to St Michael. The oldest part of the current building is the tower, supposed to have been built around 1500. The nave and chancel date from the 19th century. The other churches are the Roman Catholic St Mary of the Angels and the Christ Church United Reformed Church.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"BOLTON-LE-SANDS St Michael, a parish, in the hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, is 4 miles north of Lancaster. There is an ancient chapel established by 1648 in Over Kellet.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Bolton le Sands parish registers and those registers of all of its smaller chapelries lying within its boundaries have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk project|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|JOIN =Joiner's Marriage Index|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|BOLTON Le SANDS HOLY TRINITY PARISH (1642) Indexes|
|OVER KELLET Chapelry (1648) Indexes|
Parish Records at The Family History Library
Bolton-le-Sands- Holy Trinity
Baptisms, marriages and burials on FHL film no. 1849647 Items 11 - 25
Baptisms, marriages and burials on FHL film no. 1656767 Items 2 - 4
Baptisms and burials, 1851-1889. on British Film no. 1656768 Item 1
Parish register transcripts--
Baptisms Transcript-1655-1736- 929.3272 B32
Burials Transcript-1655-1736- 929.3272 B32
Marriages Transcript-1653-1736- 929.3272 B32
For the original registers of the above church please enquire at Lancashire Record Office.
The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306914.
Poor Law Unions
Lancaster Poor Law Union,Lancashire from 1869
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53281 British History Online
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-181777-holy-trinity-bolton-le-sands British Listed Building
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 295-302. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50811 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.