Difference between revisions of "Bradford County, Florida Genealogy"
|Line 152:||Line 152:|
== References ==
== References ==
Revision as of 18:42, 5 April 2013
Guide to Bradford County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Bradford County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1858|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Bradford County Courthouse
PO Box B;
Starke, FL 32091-1286;
Formerly New River County Name changed to Bradford 6 Dec 1861;
County Clerk has marriage records from 1875,
probate and court records from 1892
and land records from 1876
Named for Captain Richard Bradford who was killed in the American Civil War's Battle of Santa Rosa Island.
New River County was created on December 21, 1858 from Columbia County by an act of the Florida Legislature. December 6, 1861 New River County was divided into two counties. The new county was named Baker County and New River's name was changed to BRADFORD County in honor of Captain Bradford who was killed in the Civil War.
In the 1860 New River population was 3,820 In 1861 the population was virtually halved by the carving of Baker from New River. The 1870 Bradford County's population was 1,325 people and the decrease was not due to a massive migration away from the area, but due to Bradford having been split into several Counties.
County seat: Starke 
1865 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
Bradford County Cemeteries - Bradford County FLGenWeb
Florida Vol. 1
page 64 - Conner Cemetery
page 66 - Dyal Cemetery
page 76 - Evergreen Cemetery
Florida Vol. 7
page 114 - Evergreen Cemetery
page 118 - Kelly Family Cemetery
page 119 - McKinney Family Cemetery
page 121 - Markey Family Cemetery
page 122 - Parrish Family Cemetery
page 123 - Strickland Family Cemetery
- Crosby Lake Cemetery, Starke BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Bradford County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
The 1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents; also census for agriculture, and mortality.
The following information was provided by the U.S.Census Bureau.
- 1860 - 3,820
- 1870 - 3,671
- 1880 - 6,112
- 1890 - 7,516
- 1900 - 10,295
- 1910 - 14,090
- 1920 - 12,503
- 1930 - 9,405
- 1940 - 8,717
- 1950 - 11,457
- 1960 - 12,446
- 1970 - 14,625
- 1980 - 20,023
- 1990 - 22,515
- 2000 - 26,088
- Bradford County Telegraph - full-text issues from 1895-1910 on the Library of Congress, Chronicling America website
- Bradford County Telegraph - full-text issues from 1888-2009 digitized by the University of Florida
- 1875-1885 - Bradford County Marriage Books A thru C 1875-1885. Batch M512951 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1901 - Bradford County Marriage Books A thru C 1875-1901. Batch M736978 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1901-1916 - Bradford County Marriage Books D thru F 1901-1916. Batch M734991 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1901-1916 - Bradford County Marriage Books D thru F 1901-1916. Batch M734992 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1901-1916 - Bradford County Marriage Books D thru F 1901-1916. Batch M734993 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1916-1927 - Bradford County Marriage Books G and H 1916-1927. Batch M734716 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Starke Florida Family History Center
- Stuart Florida Family History Center
- The Bradford County FLGenWeb Project, a member of The FLGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Bradford County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Bradford County FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Bradford County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.