Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known Issues
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: For a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection or how to find missing images elsewhere, see Document 114052, How to use Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records.
Question #1: Some records are missing. Where can they be viewed?
Answer #1: Most missing records are available on microfilm. See Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche for instructions on ordering microfilm, as well as finding a local FamilySearch Center where you can view the films. See answers below for information about known missing records and their respective film numbers, if available.
Mendes > Mendes >
- Índices de Óbitos 1967 Abr - 1972 Abr V. 4
- Índices de Óbitos 1972 Maio - 1978 Set V. 5
- Índices de Óbitos 1978 Set - 1983 Maio V. 6
- Índices de Óbitos 1983 Maio - 1985 Jun V. 7
- Óbitos 1944 Mar - 1948 Abr V. 1
- Óbitos 1948 Abr - 1954 Set V. 2
- Óbitos 1954 Out - 1967 Mar V. 3
- Óbitos 1967 Abr - 1972 Abr V.4
- Óbitos 1972 Maio - 1978 Set V. 5
- Óbitos 1978 Set - 1983 Maio V. 6
- Óbitos 1983 Maio - 1985 Jun V. 7
- Óbitos 1985 Jun - 1991 Mar V. 8
- Matrimônios 1944 Maio - 1948 Jun
- Matrimônios 1948 Jun - 1956 Abr
belong in Miguel Pereira > Miguel Pereira. Per the Catalog Film Notes, Film 1263660, Items 3-12 all correspond to Miguel Pereira.
Rio de Janeiro > 02ª Circunscrição > Índice de Óbitos 1919 Ago-1921 Out V. 30 does not include the two pages for “T” and “U” between image 26 (the “S” names) and Image 27 (the “V” names). It would appear these pages were not filmed. The images are not included on the Film 1286880.
Rio de Janeiro > 05ª Circunscrição is missing all the Óbitos (only the idexes are available)
and > 06ª Circunscrição is missing some Óbitos. If you use the appropriate short cut keys to REFRESH your screen (Ctrl+R), the Óbitos are available for viewing.
Rio de Janeiro > 06ª Circunscrição > Índice de Nascimentos 1891-1897 is missing pages 107-200+, which include names starting with letters I (1896) – Z. It would appear these pages were not filmed. The images are not included on the Film 1286386.
Rio de Janeiro > 11ª Circunscrição > Óbitos 1947, Fev-Jun is currently not available online. This project is still in production and the missing records should be online in the future.
Question #2: The Event Type and Year Range (browse point) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. Is there a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer #2: The following list of known browse point discrepancies describes the event type or year range that actually exist in this collection:
Bom Jardim > Bom Jardim > Matrimônios 1891, Ago-1896, Dez contains Óbitos 1891, Ago-1896, Dez.
Engenheiro Paulo de Frontin > Engenheiro Paulo de Frontin > Nascimentos 1945 Out – 1948 Jul V. 7 contains Matrimônios 1945 Out – 1948 Jul. For more information about what records are available, see the Catalog Film Notes for Film 2274724, Item 8:
• Nascimentos vol. 7, Out/1942 - Set/1945 (contém registros de eventos ocorridos em anos anteriores misturados e fora de ordem), and
• Casamentos vol. 7, Out/1945 - Jul/1948.
Niterói > 03ª Zona > Óbitos 1951, Jan-1959, Jun only includes records for Jan-Jun, 1959.
Paraíba do Sul > Paraíba do Sul > Matrimônios 1893 Jun-1898 Jan V. 2 actually contains Óbitos records. The corresponding marriage records are found in the final browse point entitled Matrimônios 1893 Set – 1901 Maio V. 2. For more information about what records are available, see the Catalog Film Notes for Film 1615331, Item 10-12: Óbitos 1889-1901
Piraí > Piraí, Município de >
- Índice de Matrimônios 1889 Jan-1892 Jun V. 1,
- Índice de Matrimônios 1892 Jun-1897 Jun V. 2,
- Índice de Matrimônios 1911 Out-1920 Mar V. 5, and
- Índice de Matrimônios 1920 Abr-1934 Out V. 6 are all Índice de Óbitos with the same year span.
- Matrimônios 1889 Jan-1892 Jun V. 1,
- Matrimônios 1892 Jun-1897 Jun V. 2,
- Matrimônios 1897 Jul-1905 Fev V. 3,
- Matrimônios 1905 Fev-1911 Out V. 4,
- Matrimônios 1911 Out-1920 Mar V. 5, and
- Matrimônios 1920 Abr-1934 Out V. 6 are all Óbitos with the same year span.
- Matrimônios 1889 Jan-1893 Out V. 1,
- Matrimônios 1893 Out-1903 Jan V. 2,
- Matrimônios 1903 Jan-1912 Set V. 3,
- Matrimônios 1912 Out-1923 Jul V. 4, and
- Matrimônios 1923 Jul-1925 Dez V. 5 are all Nascimentos with the same year span.
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro > 01ª Circunscrição, Matrimônios 1891 Mar-1893-Out V. 02 year spans should read 1891 Mar – 1892 Out V. 02
Rio de Janeiro > 01ª Circunscrição, Matrimônios 1893 Nov-1894 Abr V.03 year span should read 1892 Nov – 1894 Abr V.03
Rio de Janeiro > 11ª Circunscrição > Óbitos 1955, Mar-Jul contains 1910 images, and consists of the following Óbitos image sets:
- Images 1-635; Starts 4 Mar 1955 and ends 16 Jul 1955
- Images 636-1275 starts 13 Mar 1955 and ends 9 Jul 1955
- Images 1276-1910 starts 14 Mar 1956 and ends 6 Jul 1956
Rio de Janeiro > 11ª Circunscrição > Óbitos 1953 Maio-Set contains 1273 images, and consists of the following Óbitos image sets:
- Images 1-638, Starts 29 maio 1953 and ends 26 set 1953
- Images 639-1273, Starts 15 Maio 1957 and ends also in Set 1957
Question #3: In the final browse point São Pedro da Aldeia > São Pedro da Aldeia > Óbitos 1943, Nov-1947, Jul, the front and back pages are not together (in sequence) to form a coherent record. How can I match up the front and back pages?
Answer #3: Unfortunately, the camera operator digitized fronts of pages, then backs of pages, but created separate image files, instead of combining the pages together into a single image file.
In order to match the front and back pages, you would have to look at one image, and then the other; for example, the front page is Image 1 and the back page is Image 300. Then you have to move down the film for both pages; for example, Image 2 and Image 301.
Question #4: On some indexed marriage records, the spouse name appears in the search results, but on the record details, the spouse name is listed as NULL. How can I recapture the spouse name?
Answer #4: When the Spouse, Spouse's Father, and Spouse's Mother names appear as NULL, you can click on the Father or Mother names to get the Spouse name to appear in the title. You can also go back one screen and review the search result. Another option is to View the image.
Question #5: When I click on some of the final browse points for Rio de Janeiro > 11ª Circunscrição > Óbitos …, the path displays as Rio de Janeiro > Cascadura > Óbitos… . How can I tell what records I am really viewing?
Answer #5: The following list of final browse points are considered to be “wandering breadcrumbs”; that is, some final browse points flip back and forth between Rio de Janeiro > 11ª Circunscrição and Rio de Janeiro > Cascadura:
- Óbitos 1953, Jul-Nov,
- Óbitos 1953 Nov-1954 Mar,
- Óbitos 1954 Mar-Jul,
- Óbitos 1954, Out-1955, Mar,
- Óbitos 1955, Mar-Jul
- Óbitos 1955, Jul-Nov,
- Óbitos 1956, Jun-Out
Until the problem is resolved, you will have to read each image to determine the proper location.
Question #6: The browse points in the path Niterói > Icaraí all have images that seem to be missing or out of order. How can I browse these records?
Answer #6: A few browse points have pages that are organized sequentially – as you would hope and expect. The majority of browse points for birth, marriage and death records are organized as follows:
- Some browse points have pages that are disorganized but in a way that the pages are in close proximity, within 2 or 3 pages of the next correct sequence page;
- Some browse points are organized with the numbered pages grouped in the first half of the browse point, followed by the backside of the numbered pages grouped in the second half of the browse point; and
- Some browse points contain the backside of the numbered pages only; the matching numbered pages are in a browse point of the same type and date or very close date range.
The workaround to viewing these records is to open two (2) windows, the first with the backside of the numbered pages (left side) and the second window with the numbered pages (right hand). This way you can achieve continuity in your record search by switching between windows to view the pages sequentially.
- Example 1: DISORGANIZED, BUT IN CLOSE PROXIMITY:
- Nascimentos 1897, Set-1900 – 401 images:
- Image 1 Page 1, records 1 and 2
- Image 2 Title Page
- Image 3 Page 2, records 5 and 6
- Image 4 back side of Page 1, record 3 and 4
- Image 5 Page 3, records 8 and 9
- Image 6 back side of Page 2, record 7
- Image 2 Title Page
- Matrimônios 1903, Jul-1906, Nov has a similar disordered condition.
- Example 2: BOTH HALVES INCLUDED:
Óbitos 1940, Mar-1941, Maio > Image 1 of 601: Page 1 (records 11879 and 11880)
Óbitos 1940, Mar-1941, Maio > Image 300 of 601: back side of page 1 (record 11881)
- Example 3: TWO SEPARATE BROWSE POINTS:
Óbitos 1912, Set-1914, Mar > Image 2 of 362: Page 1 (records 1 and 2)
Óbitos 1912, Set-1914, Fev > Image 2 of 402: back side of page 1 (record 3)
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If searching a specific collection: please include the name of the collection; include all search criteria used, including name, event, dates and places.
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example:Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Civil Registration, 1829-2012 > Rio de Janeiro > 02ª Circunscrição > Índice de Óbitos 1919, Ago-1921, Out > Image 7 of 30.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Civil Registration, 1829-2012 collection at FamilySearch.org.