|Brazil Research Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
A biography is a history of a person’s life. In a biography you may find the individual’s birth, marriage, and death information and the names of his or her parents, children, or other family members. Use the information carefully because there may be inaccuracies.
There are very few biographical sources for Brazil. Many brief biographies have been gathered and published in collective biographies such as biographical encyclopedias or dictionaries. These usually include only biographies of prominent citizens of Brazil.
Significant biographical publications are:
- Branches, Victor. Dicionário Biobibliográfico Luso-Brasileiro (Luso-Brazilian Bio- Bibliographical Dictionary). Rio de Janeiro: Editora Fundo de Cultura, 1965. (FHL book 981 D3br)
- Coutinho, Afrânio. Brasil e brasileiros de hoje (Brazil and Brazilians of Today). Rio de Janeiro: Editorial Sul Americana, 1961. (FHL book 981 D3c)
- Personalidades no Brasil (Personalities of Brazil). São Paulo: The British Chamber of Commerce of São Paulo & Southern Brazil, (1932?). (FHL book 981 D3p; film 1162486 item 16)
A major collection of Brazilian biographies is:
- Macedo, Joaquim Manoel de. Brazilian Biographical Annual. Rio de Janeiro: Imperial Instituto Artístico, 1876. (FHL book 981 D3m; films 0496911–0496912 item 1)
Collective biographies at the Family History Library are generally listed in the "Locality Search" section of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
BRAZIL - BIOGRAPHY
BRAZIL, [STATE] - BIOGRAPHY
BRAZIL, [STATE], [CITY] - BIOGRAPHY
You will also find some biographical information in Brazilian encyclopedias.
Family Search Wiki
Any search would be made in the search box or go to the state section in the Brazil page and search in the individual states for biography information.
By placing Brazil Biography in the keyword search you get 60 possible items:
On Line Search
- Wiki Tree Brazil
- Brazil Genealogy, Brazil Family Tree, Brazil Family Crest
- Search Genealogy Records, Family Trees, Military Records, Newspapers, More!
- Stories, Memories & Histories Ancestry