Difference between revisions of "Brazoria County, Texas Genealogy"
(added newspaper intro)
(Added land intro)
|Line 53:||Line 53:|
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
==== Land ====
==== Local Histories ====
==== Local Histories ====
Revision as of 20:16, 30 March 2013
Guide to Brazoria County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Brazoria County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 17, 1836|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 Sources
111 E Locust St Ste 200
Angleton, TX 7751
Details: County Clerk has birth records from 1901, death records
from 1903, marriage records from 1829, probate records from 1837,
court records from 1896, land records from 1826, military records
from 1919, delayed birth records and election records from 1800’s
Towns and Cities: | Alvin | Angleton | Brazoria | Brookside Village | Clute | Damon | Danbury | East Columbia | Freeport | Holiday Lakes | Lake Jackson | Liverpool | Manvel | Oyster Creek | Pearland | Quintana | Richwood | Sandy Point | Surfside Beach | Sweeny | West Columbia |
- Look-Up Volunteers Brazoria County, TXGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Churches of Brazoria County~ Brazoria County, TXGenWeb
- Texas Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in Texas
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Brazoria County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
Death & Burial Record
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Muster Rolls and Military Records for 1835 & 1836 Complete List ~ TXGenWeb
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Brazoria County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Obituaries of Brazoria County~ Brazoria County, TXGenWeb
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Land Title Abstracts ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Brazoria County Library System
451 N Velasco Ste 250
Angleton, TX 77515
Phone: (979) 864-1505
Family History Centers
2700 Lehi Ln
Alvin, Brazoria, Texas, United States
Hours: W 7pm-9pm; Th 8:30am-12pm; F 8:30pm-12pm; Sat 8am-10am; Sun 12pm-2pm except Fast Sunday
Closed: All observed holidays. Closed 2wks at Christmas
502 Southern Oaks Dr
Lake Jackson, Brazoria, Texas, United States
Hours: M-F 9am-12pm; T-Th 6:30pm-9pm
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List - Lists of state and county resources.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Brazoria County, Texas. Page 659 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.