Brewster County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Brewster County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Brewster County, Texas|
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 2, 1887|
|Address|| Brewster County Courthouse|
201 W Ave East
Alpine, TX 79830
Brewster County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Places / Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
County Clerk has birth, probate, military, and court records from 1900,
marriage records from 1887, death records from 1903 and land records
from 1800: District Court has divorce records
South Carolina, where he studied and began the practice of law. In 1849 he was appointed attorney general by Governor George T. Wood.
Places / Localities
- Look-Up Volunteers of Brewster County ~ Brewster County, TXGenWeb
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- Cemeteries of Brewster County~Brewster County, TXGenWeb~ Complete List
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Elm Grove Cemetery - Hidden Ancestors ~ transcription and photographs
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
- Churches of Brewster County Complete list of churches~Brewster County, TXGenWeb
- Texas Christian Church Directory ~ Church Angel
- Catholic Parishes in Texas
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Brewster County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Mirages, Mysteries and Reality: Brewster County, Texas, the Big Bend of the Rio Grande, 1972, by Clifford B. Casey.
- A Most Singular Country: A History of Occupation in the Big Bend, 1990, by Arthur R. Gomez.
- Brewster County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Brewster County 1920 Texas General Land Office map, online from The Portal to Texas History
- Brewster County 1939 Texas General Land Office map, online from The Portal to Texas History
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Military Veterans of Brewster County~ sorted by Cemetery~ Brewster County, TXGenWeb
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Brewster County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Alpine Avalanche Newspaper, serving Big Bend and the Davis Mountains since 1891
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituaries of Brewster County ~Brewster County, TXGenWeb
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Land Title Abstracts ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas. *Vital Records of Brewster County ~ Marriage Records 1966-2002, Death Records 1910-2008, Divorce Records 1968-1996, Births 1904-1934
Online Birth Indexes and Records
Original Birth Records on Microfilm
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
Original Marriage Records on Microfilm
Online Death Indexes and Records
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
Original Death Records on Microfilm
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Alpine Public Library
203 N 7th St
Alpine, TX 79830
Phone: (432) 837-2621
- Big Bend Genealogical Society, Brewster, Jeff Davis and Presidio Counties
- Museum of the Big Bend, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas
- Brewster County Historical Commission
- Brewster County Texas Old Photos Old photographs and postcards of people and places in Alpine and other parts of Brewster County.
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Brewster County, Texas. Page 659 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
Brewster County; 201 W Ave E; Alpine, TX 79830; Ph. 915.837.3366 Details: (Co Clk has b, pro, mil & ct rec from 1900, m rec from 1887, d rec from 1903 & land rec from 1800: Dis Ct has div rec)