Difference between revisions of "Briningham, Norfolk Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m
m (Remove amp and &nsbp)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Norfolk Parishes]]  
+
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Norfolk]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Norfolk Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:Saint Maurice, Briningham, Norfolk.jpg|thumb|right|Saint Maurice, Briningham, Norfolk.jpg]]  
+
[[Image:Saint Maurice, Briningham, Norfolk.jpg|thumb|right]]  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
Line 25: Line 25:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
a.  {{British Census|438862}}  
+
a. {{British Census|438862}}  
  
 
<br>  
 
<br>  

Revision as of 06:05, 14 September 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Norfolk Gotoarrow.png Norfolk Parishes

Saint Maurice, Briningham, Norfolk.jpg

Parish History

BRININGHAM (St. Maurice), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (S. W.) from Holt. [1]


Briningham St Maurice is an Ancient parish in the Holt deanery of the diocese of Norwich.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Images of the parish registers may be viewed online in Historic Records (formerly Record Search) Norfolk Record Office reference PD 646

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/briningham.htm for transcript of Baptisms Norfolk Baptisms Project

Census records

a.

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438862.



Poor Law Unions

For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Walsingham/Walsingham.shtml


Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.

Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Reference

  1. Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 375-379. Date accessed: 12 September 2013.