Bristol Parish, Virginia
Bristol Parish was established in 1643, including all the Appomattox River valley. When Dinwiddie County was partitioned from Prince George county 1752, Bristol Parish became the parish for Dinwiddie County. Blandford Church belonged to this parish.
"An Act to divide those parts of the Parishes of Westover and Weynoake, which lie on the South side James River, from those parts of the said Parishes which lie on the North side the said River; and for uniting Westover and Weynoake Parishes; on the South side James River, to Martin Brandon Parish, in the County of Prince George; and for erecting a Chapel in Bristol Parish, in the said County" (1720) culled from sources available in London, is published in:
- Chamberlayne, Churchill G. "Seven Parish Acts Heretofore Unpublished," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 18, No. 1 (Jan. 1938):106-118. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).
The City of Petersburg official website includes a database of graves at Blandford Church.
The Family History Library has acquired several other publications about Blandford Cemetery.
- 1720-1798 - Chamberlayne, Churchill Gibson. Births from the Bristol Parish Register of Henrico, Prince George and Dinwiddie Counties, Virginia, 1720-1798. Richmond, Virginia: C.G. Chamberlayne, 1898. Two published transcripts available at FHL: FHL Collection and FHL Collection; digital book at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- 1720-1796 - Bristol Parish Christening Index 1720-1796. Batch C505661 at FamilySearch - free.
- Chamberlayne, Churchill Gibson. The Vestry Book and Register of Bristol Parish, Virginia, 1720 - 1789. Richmond, VA: [s.n.] 1898. Available at FHL US/CAN Film 1036590 Item 2. Digital versions at FamilySearch Books Online - free; Google Books - free; and World Vital Records ($).
- Edith F. Axelson, A Guide to Episcopal Church Records in Virginia (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Publishing Co., 1988), 37.
- Carol A. Morrison, Blanford Cemetery (Bristol Parish) Miscellaneous Headstones and Gravemakers, Petersburg, Virginia.
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- Historical Inventory Blan(d)ford Cemetery, Dinwiddie County, Virginia (1980).
- Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 73-86.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.