Difference between revisions of "British Columbia Vital Records"
(Added some from FamilySearch)
m (moved British Columbia Civil Registration- Vital Records to British Columbia Vital Records: make consistent)
Revision as of 18:33, 25 October 2010
British Columbia became a province in 1871. Provincewide registration of birth, marriage, and death records began in 1872. A few records were made for events which took place before 1872 but were registered later. Many births, marriages, and deaths were not registered in the early years. Vital records began to be kept more systematically in 1920.
Availability Vital records of births more than 100 years old, marriages more than 75 years old, and deaths more than 20 years old are available on microfilm. Vital records that are more recent must be requested on forms available from the British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency.
Some births, marriages, and deaths not recorded in vital records may be in church recordsBritish Columbia vital records are restricted for many years before they can be made public:
- Birth records, 100 years.
- Marriage records, 75 years.
- Death records, 20 years.
For additional information about vital records in Canada, including research strategies, see Canada Vital Records.
British Columbia information can be found at:
- Vital Statistics Agency
- 818 Fort Street
- Victoria, BC V8W 1H8
- Telephone: 250–952–2681; Fax: 250–952–2587
- Mailing Address:
- P.O. Box 9657
- STN. PROV. GOVT.
- Victoria, BC V8W 9P3
- Internet: www.vs.gov.bc.ca
- Vancouver Public Library
- 350 W. Georgia St.
- Vancouver, BC V6B 6B1
- Telephone: 604–331–3740 (newspapers, magazines)
- Telephone: 604–331–3710 (history, government, genealogy)
- Fax: 604–331–3744
- Internet: http://www.vpl.vancouver.bc.ca/
- An index is available on the Internet: http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca:9000/sn-4BA3024/gbsearch
Family History Library
Many births, marriages, and deaths are listed in the Master Index Card File, British Columbia Family History Library films 1464497–501.) Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1986–7. The original records were filmed at the British Columbia Genealogical Society, Richmond, BC.
The following links provide further information:
- FamilySearch Record Search Births 1854-1903
- Online Index of Births, 1872-1903
- Online Index to Baptisms, 1836-1885
- FamilySearch Record Search Marriages 1859-1932
- Online Index of Colonial Marriages, 1859-1872
- Online Index of Marriages, 1872-1930
- Online Index of Deaths, 1872-1985
- FamilySearch Record Search Deaths 1872-1986