Bromley Poor Law Union, Kent
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: Bromley Workhouse
Prior to the formation of the Poor Law Union parish workhouses were in existence at
Bromley St Peter and St Paul, Kent in London Road
Cudham, Kent at Leaves Green
Downe, Kent in a house and garden opposite the parish church
The Bromley Poor Law Union was created on 19th May 1836; a Union Workhouse was built at Locks Bottom (near Tug Mutton Common) in 1844. The lodge was on the main London to Hastings Road and one side of the site adjoined Wellbrook Road which ran to the Common.
The Union Workhouse had a chapel ( which still survives) and was in the parish of Farnborough, Kent ;no chapel records survive but careful examination of the Admission and Discharge registers together with the Creed registers indicate that pauper deaths at the Workhouse were returned to the constitiuent parish for burial ( where recorded); casual admissions who died are likely to have been buried at Farnborough, Kent
It is also possible to note the development of the Infirmary at Locksbottom and following enactments relating to Lunacy and the Feeble Minded a Lunacy register was maintained by the Union and is deposited at Bromley Archive.
The 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act section 45: "nothing in this Act contained shall authorize the detention in any workhouse of any dangerous lunatic, insane person, or idiot, for any longer period than fourteen days; and every person wilfully detaining in any workhouse any such lunatic, insane person, or idiot, for more than fourteen days, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanour: Provided always, that nothing herein contained shall extend to any place duly licensed for the reception of lunatics and other insane persons, or to any workhouse being also a County Lunatic Asylum."
The Lunacy register reflects implementation of the 8 Edward 7 c.47 1908 Lunacy Act (subsequently repealed by the 1959 Mental Health Act).
The cessation of the Poor Law system lead to the infirmary and buildings passing in 1948 into the National Health Service with the addition of a maternity wing and hutted wards on that part of the site which had formerly been orchard and gardens. Farnborough Hospital was closed and demolished to form the present Princess Royal University Hospital on the site.
The Chapel has been converted into use as a centre for support and complementary therapy for women with breast cancer and their families; The Primrose Centre.
Beckenham St George, Kent Bromley St Peter and St Paul, Kent Bromley Holy Trinity, Kent Chelsfield, Kent Chislehurst, Kent Cudham, Kent Downe, Kent Farnborough, Kent Foots Cray, Kent Hayes, Kent Keston, Kent Knockholt, Kent North Cray, Kent Orpington, Kent Sidcup St John, Kent St Mary Cray, Kent St Paul’s Cray, Kent West Wickham, Kent
The Lewisham Poor Law Union was formed in 1836 from the parishes of Lewisham, Charlton, Eltham, Mottingham, Kidbrooke, Lee and Plumstead. In 1887 the parish of Mottingham separated to become part of the Bromley Union.
It does not appear likely that any of the early parish workhouses will feature in future publication of the England, Kent, Workhouse Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) by FamilySearch since that relates to material held at Maidstone. Bromley Archives holds material for the parishes in Bromley and it seems likely that neighbouring London boroughs have acquired any holdings which were previously at Maidstone.
Cudham Parish Workhouse at Leaves Green
The Cudham Parish Workhouse was built in 1731 at Leaves Green.
No documents relating to the foundation of the parish workhouse survive. There is a reference in a manorial rental of the manor of Cudham 05 29 October 1731 to the church warden and overseers of Cudham paying a quit rent of 1d for the workhouse. A 1788 survey of the parish includes the workhouse and garden. In 1803/4 11 people were in the workhouse according to an abstract of returns relating to the expense and maintenance of the poor.
The minutes of the Board of Guardians of the Bromley Union 1836 ( Bromley Archive reference 346 G/BY AM1 record a report to the full board that there were 15 inmates although the workhouse was capable of accommodating 60. The inmates were transferred to Bromley, Chislehurst and St Mary Cray workhouses. The same meeting resolved to build a central workhouse.
To the modern eye the workhouse appears disconnected from the parish but much of the modern area of the Ancient Parish was constructed in the 20th century. The former parish Workhouse is a grade II listed building; the three cottages were renamed Jasmine Cottage, Ramblers Rest Cottage and Green View in the early 20th century. British Listed Buildings contains architectural details and is based on Bromley Archives material held at reference L78.4.(0)
St Mary Cray Poor House
No records of the workhouse inmates survive however Bromley Archives does contain records concerning the formation and acquisition of the house and land.
The Orpington, Kent Vestry Minutes Bromley Archives reference P 277/8/2 1808-1847 contain several pages (including a vestry meeting held at the Workhouse to consider the work potential of the able bodied inmates from Orpington). The two parishes had formed the idea in 1815 of acquiring a house and land at the southern edge of St Mary Cray parish adjoining Orpington parish boundary and equally funding the purchase. A meeting on 29 December 1815 at the Black Boy public house resulted in a paper which was considered at an Orpington Vestry meeting on 31 December 1815. Subsequently on 3 January 1816 the Orpington Vestry agreed to fund £ 900 by raising life annuities for those in Orpington " not exceeding 40 years of age" At a further meeting on 3 March 1816 it was reported that the workhouse was "to be built on land near Reynoldsmiths in the parish of St Mary Cray.
In her work "The Book of Orpington" ISBN 086023424X p89 Dorothy Cox briefly describes the Poor House in the hamlet of Reynolds Smith ( which also contained the Red Lion public house). The Poor House ceased to be used when the Union Workhouse opened in 1844 at Locksbottom in Farnborough parish.
Burials from the workhouse are found in the St Mary Cray burial registers but inmates were transferred from Cudham Workhouse in 1836.
The workhouse and Garden are found in the 1839/40 Tithe map of St Mary Cray as item 46 and Samuel Chinock is listed in the tithe apportionment as Occupier and presumably master.
Bromley Archives have a large collection of records for the Union Workhouse at Farnborough/Locksbottom although there are many gaps in records. At over 1,000 items deposited in the Archive,records include minute books, letter books/Correspondence and numerous registers covering various aspects of the Poor Law Union's Work. Bromley Union's Workhouse was in Farnborough at the site of the former Farnborough Hospital, now the Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough, Kent.
Admission and Discharge books 1882-1930
Guardian Minutes 1836-1930
Apprentice Register 1882-1912, 1927-1930
Register of Lunatics 1899-1931
Letter Books 1872-1931
Vaccination registers 1895-1921
Some medical and personal information may be witheld from public examination for reasons of confidentiality; please apply to the Archive for further information.
Bromley Central Library
Telephone: 020 8461 7170
Fax: 020 8466 7860
Bromley Creed registers 1889-1893/4 Bromley Creed register the Bromley Archives volunteer transcription team are working to provide an online index to these records.