Bromley Poor Law Union, Kent
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: Bromley Workhouse
Prior to the formation of the Poor Law Union parish workhouses were in existence at
Bromley St Peter and St Paul, Kent in London Road
Cudham, Kent at Leaves Green
The Bromley Poor Law Union was created on 19th May 1836; a Union Workhouse was built at Locks Bottom (near Tug Mutton Common) in 1844. The lodge was on the main London to Hastings Road and one side of the site adjoined Wellbrook Road which ran to the Common.
The Union Workhouse had a chapel ( which still survives) and was in the parish of Farnborough, Kent
The cessation of the Poor Law system lead to the infirmary and buildings passing in 1948 into the National Health Service with the addition of a maternity wing and hutted wards on that part of the site which had formerly been orchard and gardens. Farnborough Hospital was closed and demolished to form the present Princess Royal University Hospital on the site.
The Chapel has been converted into use as a centre for support and complementary therapy for women with breast cancer and their families.
Beckenham St George, Kent Bromley St Peter and St Paul, Kent Bromley Holy Trinity, Kent Chelsfield, Kent Chislehurst, Kent Cudham, Kent Downe, Kent Farnborough, Kent Foots Cray, Kent Hayes, Kent Keston, Kent Knockholt, Kent North Cray, Kent Orpington, Kent Sidcup St John, Kent St Mary Cray, Kent St Paul’s Cray, Kent West Wickham, Kent
Bromley Archives have a large collection of records for the Union Workhouse at Farnborough although there are many gaps in records. At over 1,000 items deposited in the Archive,records include minute books, letter books/Correspondence and numerous registers covering various aspects of the Poor Law Union's Work. Bromley Union's Workhouse was in Farnborough at the site of the former Farnborough Hospital, now the Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough, Kent.