Bromley Poor Law Union, Kent

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 14:06, 11 April 2012 by DowneOPC (talk | contribs) (add external link)

Jump to: navigation, search


For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: Bromley Workhouse   

Prior to the formation of the Poor Law Union parish workhouses were in existence at

Beckenham St George, Kent

Bromley St Peter and St Paul, Kent in London Road

Chislehurst, Kent

Cudham, Kent at Leaves Green

Hayes, Kent

The Bromley Poor Law Union was created on 19th May 1836; a Union Workhouse was built at Locks Bottom (near Tug Mutton Common) in 1844. The lodge was on the main London to Hastings Road and one side of the site adjoined Wellbrook Road which ran to the Common.

The Union Workhouse had a chapel ( which still survives) and was in the parish of Farnborough, Kent

The cessation of the Poor Law system lead to the infirmary and buildings passing in 1948 into the National Health Service with the addition of a maternity wing and hutted wards on that part of the site which had formerly been orchard and gardens. Farnborough Hospital was closed and demolished to form the present Princess Royal University Hospital on the site.

The Chapel has been converted into use as a centre for support and complementary therapy for women with breast cancer and their families.

Constituent Parishes

Beckenham St George, Kent  Bromley St Peter and St Paul, Kent Bromley Holy Trinity, Kent Chelsfield, Kent Chislehurst, Kent Cudham, Kent Downe, Kent Farnborough, Kent Foots Cray, Kent Hayes, Kent Keston, Kent Knockholt, Kent North Cray, Kent Orpington, Kent Sidcup St John, Kent St Mary Cray, Kent St Paul’s Cray, Kent West Wickham, Kent


See England, Kent, Workhouse Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)

The Cudham Parish Workhouse was built in 1731 at Leaves Green. To the modern eye this appears disconnected from the parish but much of the modern area of the Ancient Parish is modern in construction. The former parish Workhouse is a grade II listed building; the three cottages were renamed Jasmine Cottage, Ramblers Rest Cottage and Green View in the early 20th century. British Listed Buildings

Bromley Archives have a large collection of records for the Union Workhouse at Farnborough although there are many gaps in records. At over 1,000 items deposited in the Archive,records include minute books, letter books/Correspondence and numerous registers covering various aspects of the Poor Law Union's Work. Bromley Union's Workhouse was in Farnborough at the site of the former Farnborough Hospital, now the Princess Royal University Hospital, Farnborough, Kent.

Admission and Discharge books 1882-1930

Guardian Minutes 1836-1930

Apprentice Register 1882-1912, 1927-1930

Register of Lunatics 1899-1931

Letter Books 1872-1931

Vaccination registers 1895-1921

Some medical and personal information may be witheld from public examination for reasons of confidentiality; please apply to the Archive for further information.

Bromley Central Library
Telephone: 020 8461 7170
Fax: 020 8466 7860

Bromley Creed registers 1889-1893/4 Bromley Creed register the Bromley Archives volunteer transcription team are working to provide an online index to these records.