Broughton, Lancashire Genealogy
Broughton was created a chapelry in 1774 and from taken from and lying within the boundaries of Preston St John Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Dorton
The Church of St Johns has a tower dated 1533, the nave was rebuilt in 1826 and further refurbishment in 1906.
Broughton is a village and civil parish in the City of Preston, Lancashire, England, about 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Preston city centre. The parish is included in Preston Rural North ward of Preston city council, and the Preston Rural division of Lancashire County council.
"BROUGHTON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Preston, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster; comprising the townships of Broughton, Barton, and Haighton; and containing 1320 inhabitants, of whom 695 are in the township of Broughton, 3¼ miles (N. by W.) from Preston, on the road to Lancaster. This place is supposed to have received its name from a small Roman fort. In the reign of John, Theobald Walter claimed against Ralph, son of Utred, and Robert his brother, the whole town of "Brocton;" and in the 19th of Edward II., Gilbert de Singleton held a messuage here, probably Broughton Tower, a strong heavy structure of stone, which was taken down about 40 years ago: this property passed to the Rawstornes, by whom it was sold to the Rothwell family, of Hoole. The township contains 2341 acres, the soil of which is in general a retentive clay; the surface is elevated, and there are fine views of the surrounding country, and the river Ribble. Here is a station of the Preston and Lancaster railway. Broughton Hall, an old dwelling, formerly belonged to the Atherton family: Bank House is the property of J. W. R. Wilson, Esq.; and Uplands, the seat of Lieut.-General Sir Thomas Whitehead. Mr. Thornborrow, also, has a residence here. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £106, including a house; patrons, the Trustees of Hulme's estate; impropriators, Messrs. Rothwell and Mr. Richard Seed. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £157. 10., and the vicarial for £12. 12. The chapel is in the early English style, and has a noble square tower bearing the date 1533; the body of the edifice, the interior of which is very neat, was rebuilt in 1822 at a cost of £2000. At Fernyhalgh is a Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1795, principally at the expense of the Rev. Anthony Lund, V.G., who also built a house for the priest, and endowed the chapel with five acres of land. A school in the chapelry, which was rebuilt in 1845, has an endowment of £120 per annum; and adjacent to the Roman Catholic chapel is a school built by the Rev. Richard Gillow. There are some small charities."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 409-412. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50837 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.