Brown County, Kansas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Brown County; 601 Oregon St; Hiawatha, KS 66434; Ph. 785.742.2581 Details: (Clk Dis Ct has div, pro & ct rec from 1800’s & m rec; Reg of Deeds has land rec from 1857)
1855--Brown County was created 30 August 1855 as an original county. County seat: Hiawatha 
The Kickapoo Indian Reservation is located within the boundaries of Brown County.
Early migration routes to and from Brown County, Kansas Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
Soldiers from Brown County enlisted in:
1st Regiment, Companies A and B
2nd Infantry Regiment, Companies Dand G
2nd Cavalry Regiment, Company I
5th Cavalry Regiment, Companies G and L
7th Regiment, Companies A, C, H, and I
8th Regiment, Companies C and D
9th Regiment, Company A
11th Regiment, Company F
13th Regiment, Companies A, B, E, G, H, I
14th Cavalry Regiment , Companies A, H, L, K
16th Cavalry Regiment , Companies A, C, and K
Nebraska 2nd Cavalry Regiment, Companies G and L
Missouri Regiments 5 and 25
All regiments are Kansas Infantry unless otherwise indicated.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Brown County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- National Park Service, "Auto Tour Route Maps" in Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/mopi/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).