Brown County, Kansas Genealogy
Brown County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Brown County, Kansas|
| Map of Kansas highlighting Brown County|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 30, 1855|
|Address|| Brown County Courthouse|
601 Oregon Street
Hiawatha, Kansas 66434
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Brown County Courthouse
601 Oregon Street
Hiawatha, KS 66434
Clerk District Court has divorce, probate and
court records from 1800’s and marriage records.
Register of Deeds has land records from 1857. 
1855--Brown County was created 30 August 1855 as an original county. County seat: Hiawatha 
The Kickapoo Indian Reservation is located within the boundaries of Brown County.
Early migration routes to and from Brown County, Kansas Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
Soldiers from Brown County enlisted in:
1st Regiment, Companies A and B
2nd Infantry Regiment, Companies Dand G
2nd Cavalry Regiment, Company I
5th Cavalry Regiment, Companies G and L
7th Regiment, Companies A, C, H, and I
8th Regiment, Companies C and D
9th Regiment, Company A
11th Regiment, Company F
13th Regiment, Companies A, B, E, G, H, I
14th Cavalry Regiment , Companies A, H, L, K
16th Cavalry Regiment , Companies A, C, and K
Nebraska 2nd Cavalry Regiment, Companies G and L
Missouri Regiments 5 and 25
All regiments are Kansas Infantry unless otherwise indicated.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Brown County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Brown County, Kansas 248 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- National Park Service, "Auto Tour Route Maps" in Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/mopi/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).