Bruton Parish, Virginia
- by 1674
In 1903, Rev. Goodwin published "copies of all epitaphs visible in [the parish] church and church-yard." See Historical Sketch of Bruton Church (pp. 87-117).
- "Church Patronage in Virginia. Argument for Bruton Parish the Plaintiff," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 22, No. 4 (Oct., 1914), pp. 401-409. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Goodwin, William A.R. Bruton Parish Church Restored and Its Historic Environment. Petersburg, Va.: The Franklin Press Co., 1907. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Goodwin, William Archer Rutherford. The Record of Bruton Parish Church. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, 1941.
- Goodwin, William A.R. Historical Sketch of Bruton Church. Petersburg, Va.: The Franklin Press Company, 1903. Digital version at Google Books. Includes parish register entries, cemetery transcriptions, list of ministers, list of vestrymen, a list of slaveowners who baptized slaves in the parish (slaveowners listed on pp. 154-157).
For a history of a well-known plantation in the parish, see:
- Campbell, Helen J. "Porto Bello: Bruton Parish, York County, Virginia," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 69, No. 4 (Oct., 1961), pp. 460-468. FHL Book 975.5 B2v; digital version at JSTOR ($).
In 1903, Rev. Goodwin published abstracts of all extant parish registers. See Historical Sketch of Bruton Church. For births (1739-1797), see pp. 121-131. For deaths (1662-1751), see pp. 132-143.
Chappelear also abstracted the old parish registers:
- Chappelear, Nancy. Bruton and Middleton Parishes, James City County, Virginia, Parish Register, 1662-1797. Washington, D.C.: Chappelear & Baird, 1966. Available at FHL.
- Bruton Parish Episcopal Church (official site)
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).