"A township in the parish and Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; containing, in 1841, 1217 inhabitants. ..... " [ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The new parish of Brymbo was formed by an Order in Council on 6 December 1844, out of the ancient parish of Wrexham. It contained the township of Brymbo and part of the township of Broughton. On 5 March 1880, the western part of the parish went to the new parish of Bwlchgwyn; on 15 February 1909, part of the township of Broughton went to the new parish of Broughton; and on 7 May 1921, part went to the new parish of Southsea. For more information see Brymbo, Denbighshire at genuki.org.uk
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996,||County Borough of Wrexham|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
The parish of Wrexham, and later the parish of Brymbo, formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
Nonconformist Church Records
The following records have been published:
|Gyfynus Independent||Clwyd FHS Blackwell Index CD||1827-1837|
|Harwd Calvinistic Methodist||Clwyd FHS Blackwell Index CD||1829-1837|
|Harwd Calvinistic Methodist||IGI C101341||1829-1837|
Births, marriages and deaths in Brymbo are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Wrexham||Wrexham|| XXVII (1837-51)|
Poor Law Union
The Wrexham Union was created on 30 March 1837 and the parish of Wrexham, and later the parish of Brymbo, formed part of this. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Wrexham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.