Buchanan County, Virginia Genealogy
Southwest Virginia county.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
P.O. Box 929
Grundy, VA 24614
The county was named after President James Buchanan (1791-1868), who was in office at the time of the county's formation.
- Lost census: 1890
For a more detailed description, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Buchanan County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Buchanan County: 
- Tombstone Transcription Project Buchanan County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
- Weaver, Jeffrey C. The 1860 Agriculture Ceneus [sic] of Buchanan County, Virginia. Clintwood, Virginia: Mullins Printing, 1992. Available at FHL.
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
- Schwab, W.G. The Forests of Buchanan County, Virginia. Charlottesville, Va., 1918. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Buchanan County, p. 65.]
Civil War service men from Buchanan County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Buchanan County.
- 29th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)
- 50th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)
- 51st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)
- French's Battalion, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)
- 2nd Regiment, Virginia Infantry (State Line) (Confederate)
- 4th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (State Line) (Confederate)
- 21st Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)
- 22nd Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)
- 7th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)
- 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate)
- 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate)
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Buchanan County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 6, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1962):81-82. Available at New England Ancestors ($).
- Stewart, Jesse. Early Deaths, Buchanan County, Virginia, 1858-1896. [Grundy, Virginia: J. Stewart, 1990]. Available at FHL.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- USGS Map, Topozone.com