Buckinghamshire, England Genealogy
"BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, or Bucks, an inland county; bounded on the NW and N by Northamptonshire; on the NE by Beds; on the E by Beds and Herts; on the SE by Middlesex; on the S and SW by Berks; and on the W by Oxfordshire...
"The county contains 199 parishes, parts of 6 other parishes, and 4 extra-parochial tracts...
"The county is governed by a lord-lieutenant, a high sheriff, about sixty deputy lieutenants, and about 220 magistrates. The assizes and the quarter sessions are held at Aylesbury... The county is in the diocese of Oxford; and constitutes an archdeaconry... The places of worship, in 1851, within the county proper, were 226 of the Church of England, 56 of Independents, 72 of Baptists, 8 of Quakers, 81 of Wesleyan Methodists, 36 of Primitive Methodists, 3 of Wesleyan Reformers, 1 of Lady Huntingdon's Connection, 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 100 s.; 11 of isolated congregations, and 4 of Roman Catholics.
"Population in 1801 was 108,132; in 1821, 135,133; in 1841, 156,439; in 1861, 167,993..."
SOURCE: The above extract is taken from: John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). For the full account, go online to Vision of Britain.
When civil registration of births, marriages and deaths began in 1837, Buckinghamshire was divided into a number of registration districts, each containing several parishes. The index to the civil records gives the name of the district where an event took place. Click here to see a list of the civil districts in Buckinghamshire and the parishes covered by each. Read more about England Civil Registration.
See a list of the parishes in Buckinghamshire with links to articles.
Before 1858, every town and parish in Buckinghamshire was under the probate jurisdiction of several ecclesiastical courts. To read more about probate records and see a list of Buckinghamshire towns and parishes and the probate courts that had jurisdiction over them, go to Buckinghamshire Probate Records.