Bulgaria, Civil Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
- 1 Title in the Language of the Record
- 2 What is in the Collection?
- 3 Collection Contents
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 For Help Reading These Records
- 6 Tips to Keep in Mind
- 7 Other Searches
- 8 Related Websites
- 9 Related Wiki Articles
- 10 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
- 11 Citing this Collection
Title in the Language of the Record
България, гражданските регистри
What is in the Collection?
This collection contains images and some index entries of civil registers containing births, marriages, and deaths for the districts of Sofia and Pazardzhik from 1839-1912. Acquired from the Bulgaria Agency State Archives.
The Ottoman Empire controlled Bulgaria from the 14th century to 1878. The Russo-Turkish War (1877-1878) helped to liberate Bulgaria. The Russians put a minor German prince in power, but the country remained independent from then on. Because of its location, Bulgaria's language takes from Serbian, Russian, and other Eastern European languages. They use the Russian alphabet.
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
Birth records may include:
- Date and time of birth
- Name of newborn and parents
- Occupation and religious preference of parents
- Name of informant
Marriage records may include:
- Date of marriage
- Parents’ names
- Name of witnesses
- Residence of the bride and groom
Death records may include:
- Date of death
- Residence at the time of death
- Age at death
- Cause of death
- Burial place
How Do I Search the Collection?
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
To search this collection by name:
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the "Област/District" category
⇒Select the "Място/Place" category
⇒Select the “Събитие/Том/Години/Record/Volume/Date Range" category which takes you to the images
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Bulgarian. It is a southern Slavic tongue and is written in the Cyrillic script. For help with reading the records, see the following resources:
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community.
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. In addition local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
|FHL Place Bulgaria items or FHL Keyword Bulgaria items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog.|
- Archives State Agency
- The Federation of East European Family History Societies, Bulgaria-Romania Map 1882
Related Wiki Articles
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Bulgaria, Civil Registers 1839-1912." Database with Images.FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Citing Държавна агенция Архиви [Bulgarian Archives State Agency].