Burke County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Burke County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Burke County, North Carolina
201 S Green Street
P O Box 219
Morganton, NC 28680
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1913
marriage, land and military discharge records from 1865;
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1865
1865--Many court records and most land records burned by Federal troops.
Former Burke County Genealogical Society President Betsy Pittman's article can help you discover your Burke County ancestors despite record loss, see:
- Pittman, Betsy Dodd. "Burke County 'Bypasses,'" The North Carolina Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. 15, No. 2 (May 1989):68-72. FHL Book 975.6 B2s v. 15 (1989).
- Burke County cemetery listings at FindAGrave -user-submitted burial records
- Burke County cemeteries - compilation of resources on the Burke County, NCGenWeb site
- NC Tombstone Transcription Project - Burke county cemeteries
For tips on accessing Burke County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Catawbo River. Constituted 1785.
- Book: The North Carolina School for the Deaf at Morganton, 1894-1944 (1945) - free online
- Burke County students at NC colleges - list via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- Deeds 1855-1985 -- Search on the Burke County Register of Deeds website
- Deeds of Burke County -- NCGenWeb Archives
- Book: Catawba Valley and highlands : Burke County, Western North Carolina (1896) - via the Internet Archive
- Burke County Maps - via NC Maps Digital Collection
Early migration routes to and from Burke County for European settlers included:
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, usually known as the Bethel Regiment.
- -6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- Burke county newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county & libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress.
- Burke County residents in the newspaper - name listing of people from the county as located in misc. newspaper articles; time span varies. Articles indexed in the NC People in the Papers database.
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project - contains full-text papers from 1752-1890s. Search for your Burke County ancestors.
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Burke County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1793-1963 - Will Books 1 to 9 (1793-1963) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Burke County Births - search on the website of the Burke County Register of Deeds
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state; via FamilySearch
- Burke County Marriages - search on the website of the Burke County Register of Deeds
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - search this database of marriages from across the state - images included; via FamilySearch
- Burke County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Burke County Marriages 1774-1854 North Carolina Pioneers
- North Carolina Marriages to 1799, a database, available to members North Carolina Pioneers
- Burke County Deaths - search on the website of the Burke County Register of Deeds
- Deaths of Burke County - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - search a statewide collection of freely available death certificates - images are included; via FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Hickory North Carolina Family History Center
- Morganton North Carolina Family History Center
- Burke County NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Burke County NCGenWeb Archives
- Family History Library Catalog
- North Carolina Pioneers North Carolina Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Burke County, North Carolina p. 507. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 2:562. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.