Burke County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Burke County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1865--Many court records and most land records burned by Federal troops.
- Burke County cemetery listings at FindAGrave -user-submitted burial records
- Burke County cemeteries - compilation of resources on the Burke County, NCGenWeb site
- NC Tombstone Transcription Project - Burke county cemeteries
- Book: The North Carolina School for the Deaf at Morganton, 1894-1944 (1945) - free online
- Burke County students at NC colleges - list via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- Deeds 1855-1985 -- Search on the Burke County Register of Deeds website
- Deeds of Burke County -- NCGenWeb Archives
- Book: Catawba Valley and highlands : Burke County, Western North Carolina (1896) - via the Internet Archive
- Burke County Maps - via NC Maps Digital Collection
Early migration routes to and from Burke County for European settlers included:
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, usually known as the Bethel Regiment.
- -6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- Burke county newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county & libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress.
- Burke County residents in the newspaper - name listing of people from the county as located in misc. newspaper articles; time span varies. Articles indexed in the NC People in the Papers database.
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project - contains full-text papers from 1752-1890s. Search for your Burke County ancestors.
- Burke County Births - search on the website of the Burke County Register of Deeds
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state; via FamilySearch
- Burke County Marriages - search on the website of the Burke County Register of Deeds
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - search this database of marriages from across the state - images included; via FamilySearch
- Burke County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Burke County Marriages 1774-1854 North Carolina Pioneers
- North Carolina Marriages to 1799, a database, available to members North Carolina Pioneers
- Burke County Deaths - search on the website of the Burke County Register of Deeds
- Deaths of Burke County - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - search a statewide collection of freely available death certificates - images are included; via FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Hickory North Carolina Family History Center
- Morganton North Carolina Family History Center
- Burke County NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Burke County NCGenWeb Archives
- Family History Library Catalog
- North Carolina Pioneers North Carolina Pioneers
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.