Burlington County, New Jersey Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
"Welcome to Burlington County, New Jersey"
Board of Chosen Freeholders of Burlington County
49 Rancocas Road
Mount Holly, NJ 08060
- Former seat was Burlington, but when the population moved away from the Delaware River, a new center was needed.
- 1681, court established in province of West Jersey.
- 1694, formed by union of "1st and 2nd tenths"
- 17 May 1677, Burlington County is the first county created in what is now New Jersey, from the Colonial lands. 
- 1692, boundary set with Gloucester County.
- 1693, Gloucester County boundary repealed.
- 1710, boundaries more definite.
- 7 March 1837, part set off to form Atlantic County. 
- 1838, part transferred to Mercer County.
- 15 February 1850, Ocean County set off. 
- 1857, boundary with Ocean County clarified.
- 1891, Egg Harbor township transferred to Ocean County.
- 1902, parts added from Camden and Atlantic counties.
Places / Localities
- St Mary Parish, Founded:1837- Address: 45 Crosswicks St, Bordentown, NJ 08505 - Phone: (609) 298-0261 Fax: (609) 298-7178 - Website: www.stmarysbordentown.org/
- United States Geographic Survey Place Names - GNIS for Burlington County (over 1150 entries)
(may not always be present in alphabetic order on first try.)
Burlington County Newspaper Notices Index http://www.bcls.lib.nj.us/newspapers/nni/
The "Burlington County Newspaper Notices Index" includes citations to birth announcements, marriage announcements, death notices, obituaries, and other related news items gathered from over twenty-five Burlington County area newspapers and publications.
The oldest citations in this index date back to 1810 and are from the Rural Visitor, a newspaper published in Burlington City, from July 1810 to July 1811. The majority of the citations in the database are death notices and marriage announcements from the mid-1800's and 1910-through the WW II era. Most of the birth announcements date from the 1970's-early 1980's. However, no newspaper in the Burlington County Library System microfilm collection has been indexed from the first issue to the last.
Bordentown Register http://www.bcls.lib.nj.us/newspapers/bordentown/
The "Bordentown Palladium" was founded in 1845 as a weekly community paper serving the Bordentown region of Burlington County, New Jersey, an area six miles south of Trenton. The newspaper was renamed "Bordentown Register" in 1851 and renamed again in 1966 to"Register-News". Over its 160 years of publication, the newspaper has chronicled the history of the Bordentown region, including local news for surrounding towns of Fieldsboro, Florence, Roebling, Columbus, Chesterfield, Mansfield, and Yardville, marriages and death notices, legislative news, judicial announcements, business and social concerns of the area. Of special note is the news of hometown soldiers in the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Wars and subseqent.
Societies and Libraries
- The Burlington County NJGenWeb Project, an member of The NJGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Burlington County.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Burlington County. (Backup site)
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Burlington County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181. [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].