Burt County, Nebraska Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Burt County Courthouse
111 N 13th Street
Tekamah, NE 68061
County Clerk has marriage and land records.
County Judge has probate and court records.
Clerk District Court has divorce records. 
1854--Burt County was created 23 November 1854 as an original county. County seat: Tekamah 
The following links may only be partial listings of the graves in these cemeteries.
- Advent Cemetery, 8 miles North & 3 miles West of Tekamah.
- Argo Cemetery located about 1/2 mile south of Uehling, NE on US 77 and then 3 miles east and 1/4 mile south. Or 6 miles south & 2 miles west of Craig (also on Find-A-Grave)
- Arizona Cemetery 2 miles north & 5 miles east of Tekamah.
- Craig Cemetery 1/2 mile south of Craig
- Deman Hinds Cemetery also called Anderson or Decatur Cemetery Located 4 miles west and 1/2 mile south of Decatur, NE (also on Find-A-Grave)
- Grace Lutheran Cemetery 1 mile south of Bertha, NE or 6 miles north of Craig (also on Find-A-Grave)
- Hillcrest Cemetery located in northwest corner of Decatur
- Holy Family Cemetery Located 2 miles southwest of Decatur, NE (also on Find-A-Grave)
- Lyons Cemetery 1/2 mile northeast of Lyons
- Oakland Cemetery and Lutheran Cemetery just south Oakland. These two cemeteries are adjoining but separate.
- Pioneer Cemetery More listed here (in Cuming Co. but operated by Oakland, Burt County) (also on Find-A-Grave)
- (Another cemetery down the road from Pioneer and even further into Cuming County is named Peterson Pioneer Cemetery)
- Saint John's Luthern Church Cemetery 4 mi. South on Hwy 77, 1 mi. East and ½ mi. South of Lyons, Nebraska (also on Find-A-Grave)
- Saint Josephs Cemetery aka Holy Cross Cemetery, 1 mile east & 1 mile south of Bancroft.Or 3 miles north and 5 miles west of Lyons.
- Saint Paul's Luthern Church Cemetery located about 1 mile west and 3 miles north of Uehling, NE (also on Find-A-Grave)
- Salem Cemetery 3 miles west of Oakland on Hwy 32, 2 miles South.
- Silver Creek Cemetery in Silver Creek Township, Burt County, Nebraska9 miles east of Oakland. (also on Find-A-Grave)
- Small Burial Plot, S20, T21N, RIOE. between Craig and Tekamah
- Tekamah Cemetery 1 mile north of Tekamah
- Westside Methodist Cemetery, 4 miles west of Oakland on Hwy 32 & 2 miles North. (also on Find-A-Grave)
In addition to the federal census of 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 Burt County can also be found in several territorial and state census. For tips on accessing Burt County, Nebraska Genealogy census records online, see: Nebraska Census. Some of those are posted online:
History of the State of Nebraska first published in 1882 by The Western Historical Company, A. T. Andreas, Proprietor, Chicago, IL. Includes a detailed chapter on Burt County. Republished on the web by NEGenWeb Project Resource Center On-Line Library. (Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska: Burt County Produced by Karen Elliott.)
"Burt County Nebraska in the World War, VICTORY" 1919 , published by The Burt County Herald, Tekamah, NE. (Produced by William Wever, T&C Miller with index.)Republished on the web by NEGenWeb Project Resource Center On-Line Library.
"Noteworthy Men of Tekamah and Vicinity", by Ott Brothers, 1905. Republished on the web by NEGenWeb Project Resource Center On-Line Library.
A history of Burt County, Nebraska : from 1803 to 1929. Wahoo, Neb. : Ludi Print. Co., [1929?] Available online through Heritage Quest (check with your local library through which you may have access already to Heritage Quests databases)FamilySearch Books Online
Story of an old town : with reminiscences of early Nebraska and biographies of pioneers by DeMilt, A. P. Omaha, Neb. : Douglas Print. Co. 1902 [about Decatur, Burt County, NE, chapter 6 is about early Burt County in general with biographical sketches] Available online through Heritage Quest (check with your local library through which you may have access already to Heritage Quests databases).
Who's Who in Burt County, Nebraska, 1940. by Douglas C. Sutherland. Transcribed by Karen Elliott for NEGenWeb Project.
A Craig scrapbook: a story of a village in Burt County, Nebraska by Lang, Russell Clark; Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, c2008 Available online by BYU Digital Archives.
1884 Atlas of State: Record of County Officials of Burt County, Nebraska 1855 - 1884. Transcribed and submitted by Bonnie Marks for USGenWeb Project.
"Nebraska... Our Towns" contains short histories of the individual towns in Burt county. "Historical Nebraska" is part of "Virtual Nebraska" by the University of Nebraska, Lincoln.
Burt County website has a group of useful maps including very detailed road, county, and city maps.
Nebraska Department of Roads website lisrts a number of very detailed historic maps.
Burt County WWI Draft Records and Military Personal transcribed by Bill Weaver for USGenWeb Nebraska Archives
Military Pensioners, 1 January 1883 transcribed by Alice Miller for USGenWeb Nebraska Archives
Marriage Records 1861-1937 transcribed by Bill Weaver for USGenWeb Nebraska Archives
Societies and Libraries
Lyons Public Library
335 Main Street
Lyons, NE 68038-0198
Oakland Public Library
110 East 3rd Street
Oakland, NE 68045-1356
Tekamah Public Library
204 South 13th Street
Tekamah, NE 68061-1304
Burt County Museum
E.C. Houston House
319 North 13th Street
P.O. Box 125
Tekamah, NE 68061-0125
Web site: www.huntel.net/community/burtcomuseum/
Swedish Heritage Center
301 North Chard Avenue
Oakland, NE 68045
(402) 685-6161 or (402) 685-5057
Family History Centers
- Burt County, Nebraska USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Nebraska Genealogy: Burt County Page
- Linkpendium: Burt County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Burt County, Nebraska page 428, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).