Butler County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Butler County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1819|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Land and Property
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 4.15 Voting Registers
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseButler County Courthouse
700 Court Square,
Greenville, AL 36037
Courthouse burned April 1853
Probate Judge has birth and death records 1894-1919
Marriage, probate and land records 
1853 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Alabama Minorities has information specific to Alabama African Americans.
Biographies of many notable residents of Butler County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 551.
- Union Baptist Cemetery
- St. Paul Methodist Church Cemetery
- St. Luke Cemetery
- New Prospect Methodist Church
- Brooks Chapel
- Little Brown Church
- South Butler Cemetery
- Ebenezer West Cemetery
- Smith Family Cemetery
- Elizabeth Cemetery
- Oakey Streek Cemetery
- Stamps Cemetery
- The May Cemetery
- The Springhill Cemetery
- Pressley Cemetery
- Bennett Cemetery
- Consolation Primitive Baptist Church
Additional Butler County cemeteries are included in Alabama Cemetery Records Vol. 1 at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
For tips on accessing Butler County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
|Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960|
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Butler County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Butler County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2006. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.137 E7bg.
- Little, John Buckner. The History of Butler County, Alabama 1815 to 1885. Cincinnati, Ohio: Elm St. Printing, 1885. Digital version at  ($).
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Vital Record Substitutes
A free collection of obituaries and death notices from various funeral homes in the Butler County area has been put together by GenealogyBuffs:
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Butler County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Butler County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 35.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).