Butler County, Alabama Genealogy
|Butler County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1819|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
BUTLER COUNTY, 700 Court Square, Greenville, AL 36037, (334) 382-7166
1853 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Alabama Minorities has information specific to Alabama African Americans.
- Union Baptist Cemetery
- St. Paul Methodist Church Cemetery
- St. Luke Cemetery
- New Prospect Methodist Church
- Brooks Chapel
- Little Brown Church
- South Butler Cemetery
- Ebenezer West Cemetery
- Smith Family Cemetery
- Elizabeth Cemetery
- Oakey Streek Cemetery
- Stamps Cemetery
- The May Cemetery
- The Springhill Cemetery
- Pressley Cemetery
- Bennett Cemetery
- Consolation Primitive Baptist Church
For tips on accessing Butler County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
|Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960|
A free collection of obituaries and death notices from various funeral homes in the Butler County area has been put together by GenealogyBuffs.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Butler County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).