Difference between revisions of "Butler County, Ohio Genealogy"
(Added Vital Records Intro)
|Line 183:||Line 183:|
==== Vital Records ====
==== Vital Records ====
===== Birth =====
===== Birth =====
Revision as of 21:48, 1 February 2013
|Butler County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Butler County Courthouse|
101 High St.
Hamilton, Ohio 45011-2732
Butler County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogy
- 2.13 History
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Military
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Periodicals
- 2.21 Probate
- 2.22 Public Records
- 2.23 Repositories
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places
- 5 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Hamilton County 24 March 1803.
- County Seat: Hamilton
- Neighboring Counties: Butler County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Hamilton (south) · Warren (east) · Montgomery (northeast) · Franklin County, Indiana (west) · Preble (north)
See an interactive map of Butler County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
- Pisgah Presbyterian Cemetery, West Chester BillionGraves
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- Miami Valley Genealogy Index is an Index to more than a half million pointers to records all over Miami Valley including Butler County.
Land and Property
- Butler County, Ohio War Veteran Database search
- Soldiers, Sailors & Pioneers Monument on the site of Fort Hamilton in Hamilton
- Veteran Searches: Military Discharge Search
Naturalization and Citizenship
Butler County, Ohio Genealogy newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
To access newspapers, contact public libraries, Ohio Genealogical Society chapters, college or university libraries, the Library of Congress, Google News, or the Ohio Historical Society. The Ohio Genealogical Society Obituary Database is another source of newspaper information.
For more Ohio newspaper information see the Newspaper Guides on the wiki page Ohio Newspapers.
The following is a list of newspapers published in Butler County through 1900.
Butler County Democrat. (Middletown, Ohio) 185?-185?
Butler County Democrat. (Hamilton, Ohio) 187?-1923
Butler County Democrat. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1870-1870
Butler County Democrat. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1874-19??
Butler County Democrat. And True Telegraph. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1870-1874
The Butler County Press. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1900-1946
The Butler County Signal. (Middletown, Ohio) 19??-19??
The College Corner Chronicle. (West College Corner, Ind.) 1891-190?
The Corner Stone. (College Corner [i.e. West College Corner], Ind.) 1872-187?
The Daily Journal. (Middletown, Ohio) 18??-18??
The Daily Press. (Rossville, Butler County, O. [Ohio]) 1851-1851
The Daily Republican-news. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1898-1919
The Daily Signal. (Middletown, Ohio) 1891-1907
Daily Telegraph. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1860-18??
Democracy Untrammeled, and Butler County Investigator. (Rossville, Ohio) 1849-1849
The Free Soil banner. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1848-1848
Hamilton Advertiser. (Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio) 1825-1826
Hamilton Daily Democrat. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1886-1897
Hamilton Daily Herald. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1885-1887
Hamilton Daily News. (Hamilton, [Ohio]) 1879-1898
The Hamilton Daily Republican. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1892-1898
Hamilton Evening Democrat. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1897-1907
The Hamilton Gazette & Miami Register. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1819-1821
The Hamilton Gooroo. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1876-19??
Hamilton Intelligencer. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1828-1837
Hamilton Intelligencer. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1840-1862
Hamilton Intelligencer & Advertiser. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1821-1825
The Hamilton Ohio Advertiser. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1826-1827
Hamilton Ohio Intelligencer. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1838-1840
Hamilton Register. (Hamilton, Ohio) 18??-????
Hamilton Socialist. (Hamilton, Ohio) 19??-19??
Hamilton Telegraph. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1847-1851
Hamilton Telegraph. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1853-1857
Hamilton Telegraph. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1861-19??
Hamilton True Telegraph. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1861-1870
Hamilton Weekly Telegraph. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1851-1853
Harrison Democrat. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1840-1840
The Hickory Club. (Rossville, Ohio) 1838-1838
The Hickory Club. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1840-1840
The Investigator. (Oxford, Ohio) 1886-18??
The Miami Democrat. (Rossville, Ohio) 1850-1851
Miami Echo, and the Hamilton and Rossville Advertiser. (Hamilton, Ohio ;) 1842-1842
The Miami Herald. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1817-1819
Miami Intelligencer. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1814-1816
The Miami Journal. (Miami University, Oxford, Ohio) 1886-18??
Miami Student. (Oxford, Ohio) 1867-current
The Middletown Daily Signal. (Middletown, Ohio) 18??-1891
Middletown Farmer. (Middletown, Ohio) 1840-1841
Middletown Herald. (Middletown, Butler County, Ohio) 1853-1855
The Middletown Journal. (Middletown, Ohio) 1891-current
Middletown Emblem. (Middletown, Butler County, Ohio) 1851-1853
The Middletown Journal. (Middletown, Ohio) 1857-1912
The Middletown Mail. (Middletown, [Ohio]) 1839-1840
The Middletown Signal. (Middletown, Ohio) 18??-19??
Murray's Weekly Volunteer. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1822-1825
The Ohio Independent Press. (Rossville, Butler County, Ohio) 1830-18??
The Oxford Advertiser. ([Oxford, Ohio]) 19??-19??
Oxford Chronicle. (Oxford, [Ohio]) 1834-18??
The Oxford Citizen. (Oxford, Ohio) 1854-1892
The Oxford Enterprise. (Oxford, Ohio) 1881-18??
The Oxford Leader. (Oxford, Ohio) 1882-18??
Oxford Lyceum and Journal of Literature and Science. (Oxford, Ohio) 1833-1834
The Oxford News. (Oxford, Ohio) 1886-1892
The Oxford News. (Oxford, Ohio) 1893-1909
Oxford News-Citizen. (Oxford, Ohio) 1892-1893
The Philanthropist. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1816-1817
The Reily Courier. (Reily, Ohio) 18??-19??
The Rossville Advertiser. (Rossville, Ohio) 1849-1849
The Scott battery. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1852-1852
The True Gazette. (Hamilton, O.) 187?-1???
The Volunteer. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1821-1822
Weekly Hamilton Telegraph. (Hamilton, [Ohio]) 1858-1861
The Western Telegraph. (Rossville [Hamilton], Ohio) 1836-1847
Western Round-Up (Western College, Oxford, Ohio) 1930-1971
Western Telegraph and Butler County Ohio Advertiser. (Rossville, [Ohio]) 1833-1836
Western Telegraph, and Hamilton Ohio Advertiser. (Hamilton, Ohio) 1827-1831
- Butler County, Ohio Records Center and Archives 123 North Third St . Hamilton, Ohio 45011 . (513) 887-3437
Butler County Courthouse
315 High Street
Hamilton, OH 45011-2756
County Health Department has birth and death records.
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records.
Court Clerk has divorce and court records.
County Auditor has land records.
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Middletown Ohio Family History Center
- Oxford Ohio Family History Center
- Hamilton Lane Library 300 North Third Street . Hamilton, Ohio 45011 . (513) 894-7156
- Lane Libraries serving Hamilton . Fairfield . Oxford Locations
- Middletown, West Chester, Trenton Public Libraries Middletown Branch . 125 South Broad Street . Middletown, Ohio 45044 . (513) 424-1251
- Middletown Library Genealogy Collection
- Smith Library of Regional History A Department of the Oxford Lane Public Library . 15 South College Ave . Oxford, Ohio 45056 . (513) 523-3035
- Butler County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society
- Butler County Historical Society
- Butler-Warren County African American Historical Society . 4521 Poppy Drive (P.O. Box 715) . Middletown, Ohio . (513) 424-1791
- Southwest Butler County Genealogical Society
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Ohio enacted a statute in 1856 -1857 requiring registration of births, deaths and marriages, many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1867 but, again, was not always followed. By 1908, the law was more clearly defined and kept. Any existing birth and death records from 1867 through December 19, 1908 are located at the Butler County, Ohio Genealogy Probate Court. The Ohio Department of Health has birth records filed after December 20, 1908 and death records filed after January 1, 1954 while the Ohio Historical Society houses death records from December 20, 1908 through December 31, 1953.
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
Fairfield | Hamilton | Hanover Township | Lemon Township | Liberty | Middletown | Milford Township | Morgan Township | Oxford | Reily Township | Ross Township | St Clair Township | Wayne Township | West Chester Township
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 540, Butler County, Ohio. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Butler County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butler_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- Hamilton, OH Butler County Courthouse Fire, Mar 1912 at GenDisasters: Events that Touched Our Ancestors' Lives (accessed 20 September 2012).