Butts County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Butts County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Butts County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 24, 1825|
|Address|| Butts County Courthouse|
25 Third Street
PO Box 320
Jackson, GA 30233-0320
Butts County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 African Americans
- 4.3 Bible Records
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church Records
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land and Property
- 4.10 Local Histories
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Naturalization
- 4.14 Newspapers
- 4.15 Occupations
- 4.16 Probate Records
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 5 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Butts County Courthouse
25 Third St
Jackson, GA 30233-0320
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1825.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- 1886-1924 - England's Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church Baptism Index 1886-1924. Batch C712271 at FamilySearch - free.
Jackson Methodist Church
- 1846-1885 - Jackson Methodist Church Baptism Index 1846-1885. Batch C712301 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1846-1895 - Jackson Methodist Church Marriage Index 1846-1895. Batch M712301 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Butts County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Butts County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Butts County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 6th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - 14th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company I
- - 30th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies A, B and C
- - 53rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company I
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Butts County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Butts County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Butts County Wills 1821-1841 (digital images and abstracts) . See lists of testators. Georgia Pioneers
- Butts County Wills and Estates 1845-1855 (digital images). See list of testators. Georgia Pioneers
- Butts County Wills and Estates 1849-1857 (digital images). See list of testators. Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Book A 1850-1896 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Will Book B 1897-1948 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Wills, Appraisements, Sales, Annual Returns, 1826-1841; 1836-1845; 1845-1851;1849-1857 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Annual Returns and Vouchers 1852-1855; 1864-1888; 1889-1901; 1896-1901 Georgia Pioneers($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1826-1886 - Butts County Marriage Index 1826-1886. Batch M712281 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1827-1870 - Butts County Marriages 1827-1870 Georgia Pioneers
- 1876-1896 - Butts County Marriage Index 1876-1896 Georgia Pioneers
- 1882-1895 - Butts County Marriage Index 1882-1895. Batch M712283 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1887-1895 - Butts County Marriage Index 1887-1895. Batch M712282 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1879-80 - Butts County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Butts County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Butts County, Georgia. Page 152 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.