Cabell County, West Virginia Genealogy
|Cabell County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
County CourthouseCabell County Courthouse
8th St and 4th Avenue
Huntington, WV 25701
Count Clerk has birth and death from 1853
Marriage Records from 1809
Land Record from 1808 and Probate Records from 1809
Clerk Circuit Court records from 1809
- Wayne County was carved from Cabell in 1842, while still part of Virginia.
- Boone County was created in 1847 from parts of Cabell, Kanawha and Logan.
- In 1867, parts of Cabell, Boone, Kanawha and Putnam were used to create Lincoln County, West Virginia.
- See an interactive map of Cabell County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
The largest city is the county seat, Huntington (originally Cabell City). Other communities include Barboursville, Guyandotte, Ona, Salt Rock and Milton.
- The Heck Funeral Home, located in Milton, Cabell County, West Virginia, has served many individuals in Cabell County and surrounding counties. Thousands of alphabetically arranged abstracts of records are available online and may include age, birth, death, and burial dates and locations. Some records also include parents' names.
- Cabell County,West Virginia Obituaries
- The Cabell County WVGenWeb site includes Cabell County cemeteries
For tips on accessing Cabell County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Cabell County West Virginia 1840 Census Alphabetically Arranged. 1995. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website.
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Cabell County West Virginia 1850 Census Annotated. 1998. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Birt, William A. "Historical Sketch of Milton, Cabell County West Virginia," West Virginia History, Charleston, WV, vol. 23 (1961-1962).
Arc 1. 4:23. Blankenship, James T. A Brief History of Davis Creek Community. Morgantown, Agricultural Extension Division, 1925. (On-line version)
Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2: B4. Burdette, Frank Lee. History of Ona.Community. Morgantown, Agricultural Extension Division, 1925. (On-line version)
Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2: B8. ________________. Manuscript Collection of Cabell County History, 1927-1939.
MS 79-203. Comstock. Jim. Hardesty's Historical and Geographical Encyclopedia. Richwood, West Virginia, 1973.
975.4003 H259 v.6, 12. Dickinson, Jack L. Historical Survey of Greenbottom, Cabell County, WV. Barboursville, West Virginia Jack L. Dickinson, 1988.
975.442 D553. Eldridge, Carrie. A Gazetteer of Extinct Towns of Cabell County, WV. Chesapeake, Ohio, C. Eldridge, 1992.
R 917.5442 E37. Geiger, Joe. Civil War in Cabell County, WV, 1861-1865. Charleston, West Virginia, Pictorial Histories Publishing, 1991.
975.442 G312. Geiger, Joe. "Tragic Fate of Guyandotte,"West Virginia History, Volume 54. Guyandotte Civil War Days and Raid on Guyandotte Inc. Thunder in the Village: 137th Anniversary of the Raid on Guyandotte. Huntington, West Virginia, 1998.973.442 G986 1998.'.
Johnson, Mary. Representative Men and Women of Cabell County, West Virginia. Parkersburg, West Virginia, 1929. 920.0754 J68
Kyle, Mrs. John. Early History of Little Seven Mile Community, Cabell County, West Virginia'. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, n.d. (On-line version)
Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2:K8. KYOWVA Genealogical Society. Cabell County Heritage, 1809-1996. Huntington, West Virginia, 1996.
975.442 C114. Love, Charles. History of Martha Community, Cabell County, West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, 1925. (On-line version)
Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2:L6. Miller, Doris C. A Centennial History of Huntington West Virginia, 1870-1971. Huntington, West Virginia, Huntington Centennial Commission, 1971. 975.442 M647.
Miller, J. W. History of Barboursville Community, Cabell County, West Virginia. Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, 1925. (On- line version)
Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2:M5 Mitchell, Mrs. Walter. History of Cabell Creek Community Cabell County, West Virginia Morgantown, West Virginia, Agricultural Extension Division, 1925. (On-line version)
Xwv 1. Agr 3. 2:M57. Odell, Mrs W. Cabell County, West Virginia and the Agriculture Extension Program. n.p., 1967.
630.715 O23c. Smith, Wiatt. Honor Roll of Cabell County, West Virginia. An Illustrated Historical and Biographical Record of Cabell County's Part in the World War, 1914-1918. Severinghaus Printing Company, 1920. 940.9 Sm5.
___________ Program, Guyandotte Centennial, 1810-1910, Cabell County Homecoming Celebration. Huntington, West Virginia, Guyandotte Centennial and Cabell County Homecoming Association, 1910.
Wallace, George Selden. Cabell County Annals and Families. Richmond, Virginia, Garrett and Massie, 1935.
___________________. Cabell County Courthouse, 1809-1940, Record of Cost and Financing Prepared by W. Gregory Crawford and R. S. Douthat. n.p., 1940. 975.442 W189c.
___________________. Huntington Through Seventy-five Years. Huntington, West Virginia, George Seldon Wallace, 1947. 975.442 W189h.
Wolfe, Matt. The History of Pea Ridge. Huntington, West Virginia, 1979. 975.442 W855 Pam.
A very rare and valuable resource, little known to those not from this area, are the papers of Fred Lambert, housed at the Special Collections of Morrow Library, Marshall University in Huntington.
Lambert wrote down oral family histories of hundreds of local families and the collection includes several boxes of his notebooks. Some, but not all, are indexed.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Braxton County on page 134.]
War of 1812
Cabell County men served in the 120th Regiment.
West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Huntington's daily newspapers included the Herald Advertiser (historical) and Herald-Dispatch
Cabell County, West Virginia Will Books 1820-1968
West Virginia Will Books
How can West Virginia tax lists help me?
-  Schreiner-Yates, Netti. A Supplement to the 1810 Census of Virginia: Tax Lists of the Counties for which the Census is Missing. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1971. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1810 personal property tax list. Cabell County is included because the 1810 Census for that county has been destroyed.]
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Cabell County is included in Vol. 6.]
- Cabell County Clerk has birth and death records from 1853 marriage records from 1809 (see West Virginia Archives and History)
Societies and Libraries
KYOVA Genealogical and Historical Society
Huntington, WV 25714-1254
Library located at the second floor of the Second Presbyterian Church Building, 901 Jefferson Ave, Huntington, West Virginia
Cabell - Wayne County Historical Society
P O Box 9412
Huntinton, WV 25704
Cabell County Public Library
455 9th Street Plaza
Huntington, WV, 25701
Marshall Library Stacks
Huntington, WV 25755
Family History Centers
The closest family history center is the Huntingon Family History Center
- Family History Library Catalog
- CYNDI'S List West Virginia
- Cabell County Public Library
- Cabell County WV GenWeb
- KYOVA Genealogical and Historical Society
- Cabell County Family Histories
- Cabell County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- Cabell County, West Virginia photographs
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cabell County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 61. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.