Caernarfonshire, Wales Genealogy
|| Caernarfonshire (Welsh: Sir Gaernarfon), previously spelt as Caernarvonshire and Carnarvonshire, was one of the thirteen historic counties of Wales.
It was a maritime county bounded to the north by the Irish Sea, to the east by Denbighshire, to the The county was created under the terms of the Statute of Rhuddlan in 1284 and included the cantrefi of Llŷn; Arfon; Arllechwedd; and the the commote of Eifionydd, the northern portion of cantref of Dunoding.
The administrative county of Caernarfonshire, with an elected county council, was created in 1889 by the Local Government Act 1888.
Motto: Cadernid Gwynedd (English: The strength of Gwynedd)
Chapman Code: CAE
Under the Local Government Act 1972, the county and administrative county of Caernarfonshire were abolished, for both local government and ceremonial purposes, on April 1, 1974. The whole of Caernarfonshire became part of the newly formed county of Gwynedd, which covered the whole of north-west Wales, and was split into the districts of Dwyfor, Arfon and Aberconwy.
Following further local government reorganisation, the county of Gwyneddwas re-structured, and on April 1, 1996, while the former Caernarfonshire districts of Dwyfor and Arfon remained in Gwynedd, the Aberconwy district became part of the newly formed county borough of Conwy.
- Parish: an area of varying size under the responsibility of a clergyman of the Church of England/Church in Wales
- Hundred: a group of two or more parishes
- Sub-district: comprised of more than one civil parish
- Registration District
- Poor Law Union